ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#175151 02/23/08 12:54 PM
Y
A electric room with several Mcc's each having say 15-20 Buckets feeding Mts. I feel a sticker should be on Each bucket rather then just one on top for all buckets as some companys are doing. Same with switchboards with breakers or fuses.
Whatca think.
YoopersUp

Last edited by Trumpy; 03/20/08 07:32 PM. Reason: Spelling error in thread title
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
B
This is the call of the local AHJ. Section 110.16 provides very little guidance when applying the section.

I for one think the requirement is completely ineffective and likely not saving any lives.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
Y
Not talking about the sticker required by N.E.C. 110.16 Taking about the second sticker with all the info on it. PPE distances ect

R
the arc flash sticker is for the MCC not for the buckets. this is because the bus for the MCC poses the greatest arc flash hazard.
the stickers for the individual buckets should be placed on the equipment or on the first disconnecting device after the bucket.

Y
Tell me where it says that. Both sides the Mcc?? what if the Mccs 20 ft long???As it states in 110.16
Clearly Visible Before working on the equipment Right.

R
The labels that show the incident energy and required PPE are not required so placement is a design issue.

Y
Show me in either the NEC code (for ist stickers)
or 70 E (for second stickers) The design issue statement please???

J
JBD Offline
Originally Posted by Yoopersup
Show me in either the NEC code (for ist stickers)
or 70 E (for second stickers) The design issue statement please???

There are no specific label application requirements in NEC or NFPA70E.

It is up to your customer to decide what the label layout will look like. It is their choice what the label says. It is their choice on where the labels go. NFPA 70 requires the employer to design an Electrical Safe Work Practices program. Part of that program should be training on the label locations and information for that employer.

I have customers put labels on the lug compartment for a busway run that is over 200' long, their ESWP says got to the beginning of the bus duct to find the proper label. I have had some customers put a label on every 10' piece of duct. There was even a customer that was going to make a label large enough that it could be read from the floor 20' away.

For MCC's I think my customers are evenly split between those that want (1) label only on the lugs compartment (right next to the nameplate) and those that want labels on every vertical wireway door.

Y
110.16 2005 NEC Clearly states :The markings SHALL be located so as to be CLEARLY VISIBLE to qualified persons, before examination, Adjustment, Serviceing, or maintance of the equipment. Also they must be Field installed.
FPN 2 below 110.16 (ANSI Z535.4-1998 )Product Safety sign and Lables Provide guide lines.
70E : a Arc Flash Hazard Analize MUST be done prior to allowing a worker to work on engerized equipment.That information must be availible to all employees that work on that gear,Most if not all companys I've dealt with put the stickers on with the required information on the gear, As its the Owners responsibility to make sure there employees have that. the proper tools, training ,equipment, ect to do the job safetly.
130.7 (E) Alerting techniques:
Safety Sign & tags.
Such signs and tags SHALL meet the requirements of ANSI Z535 given in table 130.7(F)

R
yoopersup,
The NEC rule only requires that a generic label be placed on the equipment. 70E requires that the information be available to the employees, and while the use of a label with the PPE information is listed as one method to make this information available, it is not the only method and the tags are not required.

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard