ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Harold:
This was one of the 'hot' topics at the 10 hr CEU course I participated in with NJEIA last month.

Panel directory was another...but..

An amendment to delete the TP would have to start at the DCA, IMHO. The lobbiests for the State Builders Assoc/League would also have to get involved to have any clout.

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
I am not a fan of the TR receptacles.
However having declared that, I will admit that the new lines of TRs are user friendly. They even include GFI and combination devices. No more insert/turn and then push in the rest of the way. Resistance to putting in a plug is almost the same as a regular device. They are designed to provent anything going into only one opening of the device.
The biggest problem I see with how 406.11 is written is that it applies to all receptacles in the AREAs listed in 210.52. That means the receptacle in the cupboard behind the microwave has to be tamper-resistant. It is going to be hard to explain to the customer the extra (minimum)cost for that recptacle.
210.52 excludes receptacles in cupboards / luminaires & appliances and those over 5 1/2 feet above the floor. 406.11 as written does not include those exceptions. I feel that the exceptions need to be included in 406.11 to put some logic into the arguement for using the TRs.
Switched receptacles are also excluded in 210.52 but, because they may be accessable to the inquisitive little darlings they should be included in the TR requirement.
As an inspector I hate being an enforcer for greedy merchants.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
G
"Switched receptacles" seems to be a strange exclusion. If you have kids that will probably be the one that gets you. Kid A says "see it is OK, watch me", then when kid B sticks the fingernail file in kid A flips the switch. Great fun huh?
If you don't get it you have never had boys.

Greg Fretwell
E
Are you guys for real? Is this that big of a deal. I don't think so.

L
leland Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
"Switched receptacles" seems to be a strange exclusion. If you don't get it you have never had boys.

Oh I get the boy thing smile

I don't see any exclusion for sw. rec though.

406.11 states "ALL" in 210.52. 210.52(2), is included.
If you refer ,210.52.(B)(1) ex. 1.,
This reads as permision to install a sw rec from ANOTHER ckt in a kitchen,per 210.70.(A)(1). I don't see an exclusion.

I may be reading it wrong, tried it several times.

Last edited by leland; 02/19/08 07:57 AM. Reason: (1)
A
Didn't mean to confuse anyone.
Section 210.52, before (A), (B) etc. has receptacles that are not considered as being any of the required receptacles covered by 210.52. Those are the ones above 5 1/2 feet; in cupboards; part of a fixture, etc. The switched receptacle in (2) goes to 210.70(A)(1)exception..."in other than kitchens and bathrooms one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch...instead of lighting outlets." Those should be covered by 406.11. For the reasons that Greg mentions above.
The ones over 5 1/2 feet; in cupboards; etc. should not be covered by 406.11.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
E
I disagree Alan. The requirement says "In all areas specified in 210.52.....ALL receptacles....."

It does not say all receptacles required by 210.52.

In my opinion if it is in those areas, which basically covers the entire house, they shall be TR receptacles.

I still don't know why the big uproar about this anyway.

Cat Servant
Codes, like all laws, ultimately depend upon the good will of the governed to be effective. When the rules begin to wander .... they start losing their impact.

I suspect that the 'uproar' has its' source in two things:

1) Many - certainly I - feel they were blind-sided by this requirement ... it seemed to pop up as a done deal out of nowhere. I don't like surprises; and,

2) Many - including myself - consider this an unwarranted extension of the code, well beyond the 'minimum safety' the code espouses.

We're not sheep, expected to quietly accept whatever is handed down to us. It is for the rules to satisfy us ... and this requirement is but one more reason to NOT accept the 08 NEC. Another term for "uproar" in this case might be 'citizen participation.'

G
The real uproar won't show up until people actually start getting these and have problems with them.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

At least the EC's in NJ will have a chance to make their opinion heard.(I believe) The state will go look into the new NEC in the next few months in order to see which sections of the NEC they will remove. For example here in NJ the state does not use AFCI's yet. Maybe they will omit the section on TP receptacles. You can go to the State of NJ website under the Dept. of Community Affairs, (DCA) and they should have the dates when we can write it in and make our opinion heard.

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard