ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Originally Posted by djk

Personally, I do think you need a non-rewirable 2-pin option like Europlug, but alas, given the ring circuit layout in use in the UK that's highly unlikely to ever come into existence !

A rewireable replacement would also be nice....for when the existing molded-on plugs fail. As they sometimes do (wires and insulation going to the plug sometimes break if it's been abused or accidentally yanked).

P
Originally Posted by Alan Belson
guess who's plug gets it in the shorts when some bureaucrat decides we must unify?

I'm waiting for the day one of them says we must all have a common language! whistle

YES!!! WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!!

Wood work but can't!
I
Originally Posted by djk
It is actually rather annoying when you end up with a laptop case full of various devices with BS1363 plugs though. It's then you start going, why don't we have Europlugs!!

We do when it come down to industrial plugs(BSEN 60309) and sockets but the big problem is the when it comes to the domestic scenario where each country has its own standard.

T
By Euro plug we commonly refer to the flat, 2.5A rated household connector which fits all European sockets except for BS 1363.

D
djk Offline OP
Originally Posted by Alan Belson
guess who's plug gets it in the shorts when some bureaucrat decides we must unify?

Well, one large country (UK), and a few small ones (Ireland 4.2 million), Cyprus (small), Malta (small!) isn't really going to sway the balance in favour of changing the entire EU over to BS1363. Let's face it none of them are ideal standards.
BS1363 is enormous and has limited contact areas due to the use of sleeves on the pins.
Schuko's not polarised and inadvertently able to mate with various non-grounded or differently grounded outlets..

they could have killed two birds with one stone and come up with something sensible to replace both of them!

Personally, I think it's an opportunity missed though. They could have standardised to a modern, non-bulky alternative to BS1363, Schuko and the various other systems back in about 1972 when small appliances were less common and people didn't carry things around as much. When they were harmonising the flexible cable colours, they could have also mandated a new plug. The UK couldn't have really complained given at that stage it had a cludge of BS546 (umpteen variations) and Bs1363 and shipped almost all appliances without a plug !!! Same for Ireland.

It'd be an absolute nightmare to change now.

Alternatively, they could just ship EVERYTHING with a keyed (by cable rating) IEC connector, that way you could fit your own cable. IT equipment does it, so why not just do everything that way ?!

Last edited by djk; 02/04/08 09:23 AM.
T
I think the problem is going to take care of itself over time... some countries do an official changeover, others change gradually like Italy... I guess in the end that'll leave the UK and Ireland the only countries without CEE 7/7 plugs. Countries worrying about polarization adopt the Frnch style, the others Schuko, plugs are designed for both sockets and everybody is happy.

The Schuko plug was deliberately designed to plug into ungrounded sockets - the idea being, reducing a Class I appliance to a class 0 in a class 0 environment does not pose any increased danger while using a class 0 appliance in an environment with grounded metal surfaces present does.

The only real problem were the old Danish receptacles that accepted Schuko plugs but did not ground them and they're being phased out right now.

Stop dreaming of getting the entire EU or even the world to standardize on one plug by force... I'd be glad already if we ended up with all 110/120V countries using NEMA patterns and all 220/230V countries using either CEE 7/ or AS/NZ plugs.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard