ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#174221 01/29/08 06:43 PM
H
Looking for suggestion on lighting up a 180"+ onion shaped water tower.The top is 4 times as large as the base, and they mostly just want the city logo's lite up. The city fathers are looking to have their newly refurbished tower ( but mostly just the city logo) lit up for all to see. The facility that it is located in, has fencing approx. 100' on all sides from ther base of the tower.. There are some 2 and 3 story businesses on the north and south side.

The city logo is on 2 sides, the north and south side.

I'll be meeting with a few of the lighting reps tommorow on site. Was just curious for everyone opinions. There is always the ability to gain access to surrounding buildings roof tops ( with legal agreements of course), to use as lighting platforms.

Regards,

HP

Last edited by HighPotter; 01/29/08 06:44 PM.
G
Tight beam from a light on an adjacent building will be the way to go.

Ghost307
H
I agree Ghost.
The top of the tower is about 100' across, so of course the logo is about as wide. So I'm thinking probably 10 1500w MH fixtures, with narrow beams. The spacing of the fixtures should be interesting. Not sure if they could be grouped all mostly in the same area, or would have to be spaced evenly( maybe 10' apart) along the rooftop.

I was also told late this afternoon, that " if possible", they would like all of the support structure lit as well. Geez

But that might be much easier actually. I'm thinking fixtures mounted at the base of each leg ( there are about 15 huge supports) all shining straight up.Conduit mounted on the curving concrete curb that rings the tower. Should work fine.

HP

N
In addition to the aesthetic lighting, towers like that may be required to have aircraft warning lights on them. Those have to meet very specific FAA requirements.

The project engineer sould check with the regional FAA office to find out for sure...

H
Already has one. Along with numerous small antennas.

S
One alternative to look at is Electronic Theatre Controls' "Source Four" ellipsoidal spotlights. I believe they have units designed for use outdoors, and also units with metal halide lamps. I don't know if the two features are available in the same unit.

These can give you long throw in conjunction with a lot of light.

S
Looks like another good use of tax dollars.

Maybe their is some type of solar option??

S
Originally Posted by Surfinsparky
Looks like another good use of tax dollars.

Maybe their is some type of solar option??
hahahaha... I know what you mean, but "solar powered lights" is still a funny suggestion wink

HighPotter,

It doesn't say where in SoCal you are, but what are the City Fathers going to do about this?

Title_24_Part_6

(10ea) 1500 Watt Metal Halide fixtures just to light up the City Logo? That is ludicrous in light of the fact that California's trying to SAVE energy, not WASTE it.

H
Originally Posted by electure
HighPotter,

It doesn't say where in SoCal you are, but what are the City Fathers going to do about this?

Title_24_Part_6

(10ea) 1500 Watt Metal Halide fixtures just to light up the City Logo? That is ludicrous in light of the fact that California's trying to SAVE energy, not WASTE it.

Well, I'm not saying that there won't be a bit of energy wasted here. but.... Is there an agency that will tell a city they are not compliant? And if there is, would this agency be up to spending millions of dollars in lawsuits to stop it? Thats the kind of city I work in.

It is what it is.

But just as a side note. We met with a lighting designer yesterday, and it looks like the fixtures are going to HAVE to be located 250' + away. spaced at 50' intervals, all shining up at a 30 deg. angle.

It'll take that many fixtures for sure.

HP

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard