ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
chimo Offline OP
I'm re-routing some circuits on a residential kitchen project, and was wondering:

Can you place electrical runs in the same wall cavity with plumbing? Good/bad practice? Could this be against code in some areas?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
Yes, but I cannot quote an article to back it up. I know it is done all the time and I would not hesitate to do it myself. Someone else may disagree and provide an article for us. But I think the answer is yes.

Cat Servant
I don't see anything against doing so, but experience has suggested a few complications you'll need to address.

Pipes take up space. This can mean there's no room for a box, anchoring the cables can be difficult, and that the cables will need additional protection when the piping pushes them too close to the wall.

E
I had a HO/plumber who forbid me from running romex in the same stud/joist space as his copper pipes. He claimed electrolisis (sp?) causing pinholes in his copper. He was/is the only plumber that ever identified this as a problem. BTW I run romex in the same bays as plumbing.

Welcome aboard excellencee, from another member from the Commonwealth of PA.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
M
You can. However, if the spacing is tight, you might want to consider the ambient temperature if you find that your cables are physically touching the hot water pipe. In that case de-rating may be required, depending also on the length of the contact.

Z
In the same joist/stud bay? Sure. I've worked with so many plumbers I couldn't begin to take a swing at the number, but I've never heard anything about electrolysis or any such thing like that.

Touching? No. Hot water, cold water, doesn't matter. Not a good idea. Vibrations, heat, cold, etc. There are too many variables to even consider doing this. You can get around them without problem. If not, at least use some pipe insulation jacket between your wire and the pipes.

Good Luck!

P
We do it all the time over here, where hot-water central-heating systems are the most widespread so it's common to have copper pipework running all over the house, not just in the kitchen/bathroom areas.

M
Plumber often wrap BX to prevent electrolosis but romex is no problem as it is insulated. excellencee's HO/plumber was thinking bx but he was a plumber and what does a plumber know about electrical installations ;-)

W
I have first hand experience with a hot water pipe going to the shower, melting into the range feed in my parents house.The house was built in early 70's. this happened probably 6 years ago. The problem most likely started as soon as the house was occupied. But over time the romex jacket and conducter jacket was melted. the only reason for finding the problem was a random shock when getting in the shower, and touching any grounded metal around it. I.e the handle, or drain. I've never seen this problem anywhere else. From then on I always maintain a healthy spacing when running romex anywhere near hot water pipes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard