ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
pauluk Offline OP
[Linked Image]

S
It appears that the Luddites are winning...

G
What will they use in the Easy Bake oven now?

Greg Fretwell
LOL Greg!

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
N
On a serious note, what will we use in a REGULAR oven, when they ban the 40W incandescent appliance bulb? I can't imagine that a CFL would tolerate a 450 degree oven (or a 35 degree refrigerator, for that matter).

I should start stocking up on bulbs now, CFLs don't like traffic lights. (Hopefully by 2012, edison-base LED-bulbs will be cheaper, because I'm not putting LED modules in every light.)

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
G
I doubt these bulbs will ever be unavailable. They will just get a hefty tax put on them.

Greg Fretwell
From the discussion I've heard on another list, the only bulbs that will be banned are "general use" bulbs, the standard A19/E26 types that are commonly used for residential and commercial service. "Specialty" bulbs and lamps, such as those used in the oven or theatrical fixtures, will still be OK.

Re: Easy bake oven... Infrared LEDs? I assume that's what is underneath those "ceramic" stove tops.

S
The local hardware store was selling 4x packs of incandescents of various wattages at 2 for $1 a few months ago. I bought a whole freaking pile of them... right before actually doing some pencil & paper calculations and realizing how much more expensive they are than CFLs, and wishing I'd have saved my $5.

Well, at least I've got pretty much a lifetime supply of bulbs to use on my dimmers, right? Heck, maybe if I hang onto them, they'll be worth something as collectables!

Cat Servant
This issue is one that has precious little to do with the technical aspects of the trade - and everything to do with how politics influence our lives. In that respect, it's but the tip of the iceberg, the nose of the camel, the calm before the storm.

Before long, everyone will have a say in our trade - everyone, that is, except the electrician, or the consumer.

I happen to like CFL's for most uses; my home is full of them. It's not about the light bulb. It's about the right of government, and the ability of parties to manipulate government, to make our decisions "for our own good."

The fact that EVERY place that has embraced this political system either wallows in poverty, or has collapsed in chaos, does not deter these missionaries in the least. Perhaps they believe they'll have a place in one of the nicer circles of the Hell they'll invent. Or, as the proverb asserts, misery loves company.

These 'good intentioned' ideas are but pavers on the road to Hell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard