ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#173490 01/10/08 09:09 PM
G
I haven't said anything about it here but first thing monday morning I had a dead system, this one.
No boot, C drive was simply dead. That also took out the extended partitions E:, F: & G: 200 gig in all.

FDISK could see the drive but DOS couldn't so I figured cylinder 0 was toast. I ran FDISK/MBR and got back the C drive. That is how I was running all week but E, F & G were still missing. I used a program called DFSee to look for the missing partitions and they were still out there but unavailable. Norton Utilities running in default mode said there was a problem it couldn't fix and asked me if I wanted to recover the disk space. I figured that would be the end of my data so I said no.
Lots of my computer geek buddies were telling me about rebuilding the partition table byte by byte. I decided to get my Norton Utilities book out tonight and see if I could figure out how to do that and Lo and Behold, there was a section called "repairing track 0".
The short answer is NDD /REBUILD fixes it automatically with a couple of "yes or no" prompts.
I'm back!

Greg Fretwell
E
Wow, my Monday morning computer dilemma sounds like a walk in the park compared to yours. Mine was truly whacking out, ticking inside with nearly every visual display flashing at random. I was sure it was a hard drive failure. My secretary's HD failed two weeks ago on an identical machine.

I'm pretty handy with computer HARDware issues, but this situation looked pretty bleak to say the least, so I took it to the local shop that handles our computer repairs. Upon initial investigation, the technician said that it looked like a failure of the proprietary motherboard. One of those situations where it's cheaper and easier to replace the whole thing.

Two hours later, the guy calls me with "good news and bad news". I'm thinking that the bad news will outweigh the good.

Nope.........The power supply was putting out 5VAC instead of 5VDC, causing total chaos. He's going to check to see if he has one that will work, otherwise he will have to order one.

Oh, the bad news? The replacement power supply didn't quite line up with the cabinet cutouts and the 110/220 switch would be covered. He had to use a nibbling tool to notch an opening for it. Oh, no!

Talk about a bad day turning into a good one in short fashion. A hundred bucks later and I was back in business by lunch time. What a country.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
That is one nice thing about my wood cases. I don't need a sheet metal nibbler, a pocket knife will work ;-)

I really need to work on my backup strategy a bit. I didn't really have much lost when those drives were gone but it would not have been easy to round it all up. I have files scattered all over the place, across a half dozen machines and a dozen or more hard drives

Greg Fretwell
G
I wish you could send your hd to Hungary, we have agreat team here to do this job.
Maybe they have a branch in your city smile
www.kurt.hu

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
G
They probably have a copy of Norton Utilities wink

Greg Fretwell
G
They don't use software they use hardware checkup for recovery. These guys are not BG warriors.

Broom Pusher and
Greg + Ed;

I am very happy to hear the light at the end of the tunnel was not an oncomming Freight Train - as in regards to your Machines' being recoverable without:

* Data loss
* High Level H.D.D. Formatting
* Re-installing O.S.
* Reduction of saved funds - AKA "$$$ spent for new *.*"
(wildcard = whatever items may have lost smoke &/or held too much smoke, then burst).

You guys need to bring some of that good luck over this way!

Scott - the "Finder Of Smoke At POST" eee-lecktrickle ingunear!

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
G
Whatsa broom pusher?

Broom Pusher and
Gloria:

Whatsa broom pusher?

The Technician whom operates the "service side" of a Broom's handle wink

It is the one job I excel at!!!

I have no "fear" of Brooms, so if the jobsite is messy, I will show that Broom a thing or two!!!

The "Broom Pusher" task is a thankless one - but someone has to do it!

(seriously, I just throw that "Broom Pusher" thing in my profile for humor, but everything still goes - no fear of broom operation when necessary!).

Scott

p.s. Let me know if I used too much slang, and I will re-post a translation.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard