ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
N
Looking for some opinions,
I've only ever installed "new work" style recessed lighting housing - even in remodel work. Just modified as necessary to fit

I recently installed a few small wall washers that were "old work" style recently and found they worked pretty well. I was always afraid the lip would never sit tight and flush with the ceiling - but not the case here.

Are the 5" and 6" "old work" as good as the small ones? Specifically Halo IC incandescent housings.

BTW - this is not my first post. Used to post as NJ_WVU Grad

G
If you don't get sloppy cutting the hole they work great.

N
I've never had a problem with the old-work cans. I will second the advice on cutting the holes PRECISELY. I use a large carbide grit hoiesaw sold specifically for cutting these holes. Makes a nice clean, tight fitting hole, which is the key to getting the cans to suck up tight to the ceiling.

For plaster and lathe, I use the carbide grit hole saw, with a masonary bit in the arbor, first, for the plaster and switch to a carbide tipped hole saw for the lathe. For drywall I use the carbide tipped.

Hank
F
and there is a trick with some holesaw if you have the regualr type run the holesaw in reverse that way it will really save the wear and tear on the blade.

Merci, Marc

[ Make sure you have good shop vac to pick up semifine dust after you get done boreing it.]

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

K
I started using one of those adjustable HolePro X-200 kits with the carbide bits and dust collector last year, mainly because I could never find carbide tipped recessed light hole saws for the Halo 5-inch remodel cans or those really tiny Lightolier remodels. I believe they are 3-inch.
I still have the older Greenlee recessed light hole saws that I’ve used for years as backups.
With the popularity of the 5-inch cans, I can't understand why Greenlee, Milwaukee or Lennox hasn't made a recessed light hole saw available for them yet.

Z
Often called "retro" cans out here, they work great once you get the hang of installation.

I tried all the holes saws, but got tired of bleeding drywall and plaster dust out of my eyes, so I went back to the keyhole saw. Believe it or not, I can out cut other guys that use the hole saws, and I NEVER over cut anymore.
Please excuse the John-Henry-style bragging smile

N
What about the Greenlee "Quick Cutter" recessed light hole saw

Never used it but I've seen it around for years...anyone use it/ like it?

L
I use hole saws all the time. I mark,poke a screwdriver up, find the joist,etc. Then I place a box (soda case,low sides) and drill. no problems.Dust collected and no Tears.
Most of the time.

Link Copied to Clipboard