ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 142 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
This is the hardest part about about hunting down products listing. If you try to to find a listing for a black and decker coffee maker, you will only find 1. This is because of B&D did not maufacture them. They just pay someone to put it in an B&D package. You have to find out who manufacutred it to find its listing. There are exceptions to the rules.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
This looks like a controversial outlet, Randy. laugh

http://www.dozg.com/en/index.asp

http://www.ul.com/newsroom/newsrel/nr110507.html

http://ipdragon.blogspot.com/2007/07/chinas-general-protecht-group-wins-ipr.html

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-nyndce/case_no-5:2007cv00833/case_id-68741/

R
It seems there has been a flood of these "economy" GFI's into the market lately by all sorts of manufacturers / importers.. The company I work for installed piles of similar GFI's recently... The company I work for also got called back on almost all of them for them tripping for no reason and failing completely...Word of advice: Steer clear of these Cheapo GFI's!

A.D

A
about two years ago my company switched to the secure-e brand(must have gotten a deal on them). That was a mistake. I had to go on a lot of service calls to replace them. They would work for about 5 minutes after a load was put on and then trip. they learned there lesson about buying cheap GFCI's.

While on the fake Chinese GFCI subject, I came across an Arrow Hart GFCI long after Cooper had put the name to rest (at least as far as wiring devices.. The "E" file number is null as far as UL is concerned. The last version of the real AH GFI is on the left, the fake is on the right..

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

Trust you to find a dodgy GFI, Randy.
[Linked Image]

But, the question has to asked, what exactly are the authorities doing about all this imported foreign junk?.

As I've said here more than once, one day someone is going to get seriously injured or killed under the false sense of security, that the device they have installed, will trip upon a ground fault, I've seen some here that come from the same place and they don't do what they say they will.

This is an absolute travesty, who is going to carry the can if someone does get killed?, the installer?, the importer?, or the manufacturer (if they can be found)?

It's high time that the counterfeiting of electrical protection equipment was stamped out before something bad really does happen!

Now, I'm not conversant with the workings of UL, to my knowledge they are a test lab only, but, could they bring a case against companies overseas using fraudulent test certifications, especially where their own test certifications are being falsified?

We even get light fittings and God-knows what else here with a UL approval on them, this is looked at as dodgy for a start, because UL is not really a recognised test lab here, we usually use a NZ or Aussie one, for type-approval after importation.

It's a mine-field out there these days, and we were told globalisation would benefit everyone. mad

[Linked Image]

The fake Arrow Hart strongly resembles the Leviton-design GFCI. It looks like a mold insert for the back cover has been changed over to show the Arrow Hart name. I'm wondering if the fabricator chose Arrow Hart thinking that legal action might be later or never. frown

Mike,
I'm still wondering why this thread was moved here.
the topic is about counterfeit equipment.. not about the package it came in.

deciding this is a" photo for discussion " seems to diminish it's importance on this board. granted we are on page 2, but we could possibly be much farther along with this topic..IMHO

Tom
T
Recently I was told about a large batch of ceiling fans Made in China, sold in Germany in the mid-1980s. They had a UL listing - but most certainly weren't safe in any way to be sold in Germany - the sockets were ES26 and appeared fairly flimsy to my eye. What I want to say: what is legal (and safe) in one country might pose a severe hazard in another.

B
Originally Posted by Lostazhell
The UL sticker on the outlet itself shows E231858 which comes back as:

KCXS.E231858
Ground-fault Circuit Interrupters

GENERAL PROTECHT GROUP INC E231858
555 DAXING RD W
LIUSHI
YUEQING, ZHEJIANG 325600 CHINA

That listing looks like it is only for a GFCI (UL 943), and does not address the UL 498 that the package claims. My guess is that this listing is for a different GFCI made by that company, and they used the same label for this one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard