ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#173269 01/06/08 07:18 PM
B
I want to install a 220v outlet for a electric dryer. My home was built in 1993 and I didn't pay for the option so the builder left the wire hanging in the electrical panel box.

I have included a picture of my electrical box and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be a simple job to install or a complex one. Im not planning on doing it myself either way, just trying to get a guesstimate on how much its going to cost to do.

Thanks for the help!

[Linked Image from mysite.verizon.net]

L
LK Offline
Picture not giving clear eniough view, and the size, and number of wires in the cable is unkown. someone would have to look at the job.

But don't wait too long to call someone, what i can see in the picture is some neutral wires cooking, have this looked at before it developes into a fire.

G
It almost appears as if that "panel" was pieced together with left over parts. Definately want to get that looked at by a trained professional.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

Cat Servant
I wanted to say that the panel looks OK, and all the hard work is already done .... BUT ...

WHERE are the ground wires????

And how do those wires terminate on the other end?

Even if the house was wired in pipe .... rare as that is ... you need a neutral wire to the dryer. The panel is rather crowded as well ... a few more projects, and you'll have no choice but to set another panel. Something to think about.

Gotta agree with Les, get someone out there before that neutral bar decides that it's had enough!

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
B
Originally Posted by GA76Apprentice
It almost appears as if that "panel" was pieced together with left over parts. Definately want to get that looked at by a trained professional.

This "work" was performed by trained individuals. In fact, these highly trained individuals did our entire housing area consisting of 75 homes...lol

B
Originally Posted by renosteinke
BUT ...

WHERE are the ground wires????

And how do those wires terminate on the other end?

Even if the house was wired in pipe .... rare as that is ... you need a neutral wire to the dryer. The panel is rather crowded as well ... a few more projects, and you'll have no choice but to set another panel. Something to think about.

The picture doesn't show it well, but the black 220v wire is capped off behind the red at the top of the panel.

Could I combine several of the circuit breakers to open a spot for a 220v breaker and have one plugged in, or what?

Thanks for all the responses!

Cat Servant
You're asking a lot ... the panel suggests other problems that NEED to be addressed first; we can't be sure, because there is so much we can't see.

IF you have four wires -black, red, white, and bare- coming from the installed dryer receptacle, you're good to go.

IF the panel is designed to accept additional 'skinny' breakers, you're good to go.

Beyond that .... this is not a DIY forum, and we really think you ought to have a real sparky do the work. It's not just about 'making it work;' do that often enough, and there's a real mess to sort out.

3rd breaker up and the 3rd breaker down have a lot of insulation stripped off for being a pro job,

I seriously think that burnt neutral is only resting on the front of the neutral bar! eek Do you have anything in your home that sporadically goes off and on? or worse if thats a multi-wire circuit eek

Your panel has the Crouse Hinds "skinnies" that like to fall out of place if you breathe on them wrong, I'd recommend not pulling your deadfront off again unless you are a qualified electrician.
And as much as I despise Crouse Hinds thin breakers (they get Zinsco-itis very easily, and seat about as well as... well see the picture crazy ). they are what's listed to be used in your panel.. (And you won't find them at Home Depot or Lowe's(I think I see a Murray MP-T215 that doesn't really belong in there also)) Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe these are CTL. Then you would be able to make room in there for additional circuits if needed.... But....

Please address the forementioned issues with a qualified electrical contractor in your area!

F
I will echo's other guys comments about this panelbox and this is a pretty serious issue there because i can tell some of the breakers are sitting pretty loose.

it is far much eaiser to get the electrician to take care of this matter because there is a open bussbar on the right side of breaker box if not carefull it will do pretty serious damage there.

that the reason why we recomoned get a electrician to comeout and take care of this matter.

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard