ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
RDK, Based on what you have told us thus far, Here is what I suggest. First, fix what has burned up and disconnect the light circuit(s) in questioned. Varify that power and system is kosher. The burnt equipment could be the source of the problem.

Once that is all done. Varify you have the proper voltage on each leg going out to the lights.

Then ask yourself, "If I was going to run the conduits for the lights, how will I do it?" This can give you a starting point where to start looking. Once you can confirm conduits and wire routing, document it as an as-built. Check the connections. At each piece of equipment, check to see each light is rated for the voltage and that you have the correct voltage at each light. Document your findings.

I suggest if you feel comfortable doing this is if possible, locate a junction in the wiring that is in the middle of the circuit. De-energize the circuit(s), properly open the circuit(s) after properly marking them and protect all exposed ends. Energize the circuits. This will tell you several things. Whatever is energized and de-energized will tell you what side of the opening in the circuit(s) each load is on. If the goofy voltage dissappears, the problem is on the de-energized portion of the lighting system. If the voltage is still goofy, the problem is on the energized portion. Keep on repeating this until the problem is found. It may not be easy but highly effective. The theory here is you can have a ciruit with 1 million good splices and 1 bad splice. You can find that bad splice within 20 guesses by using this process. Keep in the back of your mind that there can be multiple problems and they can be on both sides in the open circuit so do not get tunnel vision. Also do not let burnt out bulbs trip you up.

When tracing circuits and conduits, do not be suprised to come to a relization that there is a junction some where like a hand box or junction box that you are not aware of. Keep us posted. I like these type of problematic issues. I know, I'm a sick individual. sick

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
R
RDK Offline OP
The bad thing is ive done this all with no luck. PLus the whole building is mostly lumex.Ive started at the middle and worked from there. Seems like the problem is before the first light on all four circuit(s). The Burnt lights are on another set of breakers in the shop. The pots are in the office side from a diffrent pannel.

This almost sounds like you have 2 different systems crossed... Do you have 480Y/277V in the building at all? I'm not sure how you can get 255V otherwise, especially if all is well in the panel (aside from being stablok whistle ) Even if this were a high leg system, you'd at best have around 2o8V-G. If no ballasts are involved and your panel voltage is 208V phase to phase, you're picking up voltage from a source outside of that panel to get 255V.

R
RDK Offline OP
Thats what im thinking. With no prints or as builts im sorta lost. No 480/277 check all pannels.

K
Can you find which circuit breakers in which panel are feeding these lighting circuits?
I would recommend investing in a circuit tracer and toner/tracer set if you don’t already own one. Especially since this building sounds like it’s going to be "your baby" from now on. They can sometimes make problems like this a lot easier to tackle.

Since we are shooting in the dark anyway, is it possible these lights are hooked up to an autotransformer dimmer or something that could be incorrectly wired and somehow acting like a boost transformer?
If you are sure it’s a 208V supply, even with a bad neutral connection, I can’t see how there can be 255V anywhere in the building without some type of transformer ahead of it. I just noticed that you’re in Canada though and I’m really not at all familiar with the type of materials and wiring practice used there .

A bad neutral couldn't get 255V from a 120/208V system. At most it could be 208V
As a matter of fact, the situation you're describing is impossible electrically without some other influence.

255 Volts is a reading typical of a metal halide ballast's open circuit voltage.
Have you taken a mirror and a flashlight and looked through the hole for a ballast possibly mounted remotely? Some of them can be a real nightmare and take a real long arm to replace.
Taken a L-N voltage reading at the fixture's junction box line terminals instead of the lampholder? With a solenoid type tester?

A
I have to second electures above comments and those of Lostazhell, even with an delta service (or open delta) "high leg" there would be no way to get 255 volts as line voltage, an open neutral does not explain it.

There has to be a ballast/transformer/step-up influence of some kind at work here. The four that work are normal incandescent par 38 lamps? What is the voltage at thier lamp socket? what do the fixture nameplates if any say? I need more info to attempt a diagnoses but find the 255 volt report revealing in that there simply has to be a step-up process of some type involved. Let us know what you find....

J
In Canada it is common to use 347 volt for lighting which comes from the 600 volt three phase.

S
Now that I think of it, you are right about the open neutral The floating voltage will not exceed the phase to phase voltage. blush

The problem about trouble shooting on a message board is like a doctor treating a patient over the phone. You get tunnel vision.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
W
I agree I did not see the part about the 208v supply the first time I read the post, tunnel vision I guess

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard