ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
I have them on my bike, under the tour pack and saddle bags. Very eye catching at night and better than the factory tail lights.

M
Originally Posted by Theelectrikid
Good LED applications? Here's one we all see everyday:

Traffic lights.

Only disadvantages (and some cities won't use them because of this), is that they don't generate enough heat to melt the snow of the visors, and they don't last long in hotter climates.

Ian A.

we are in a Canada and go from -30ºC in the winter (with snow storms) to +30ºC in the summer and while driving I don't see any more problems with the LED bulbs than the Incandescent bulbs. I see more signals out of service longer as the city has cut back on the overtime to replace bulbs outside of normal working hours.

There is more of a problem with the old style of mechanical signal controllers freezing and locking out in the cold damp weather when the 60w bulb they use for an internal heater burns out.

M
gets to 45c here in summer, havent ever seen them changing out led traffic lights since they were installed! dont see any not working very often or at all anymore either! have a small light with 3 leds in it on my helmet at work, great for working in panels when lighting is bad, which is in lots of places at the power station around the boilers etc. Also was good when working in mining industry at night, trucks etc can see you easier once you are away from service vehicle.

S
How about the cordless tools that now have led lights in them? I work with an apprentice who has an 18V set and all the tools have led's. They're quite handy sometimes.

R
They are also great as pilot lights on control panels in substations and as indicator lights on overhead pole mounted contactors to show the on / off status.

Then of course as Christmas lights too. Hopefully no more faultfinding on awkward led strings.

Traffic lights ideal, the response time is a lot faster, also they are a lot brighter too.
Sometimes occasional led strings fail but the led cluster still works.
The problem with snow on lenses can be sorted with a heating element or small power resistor within the led housing.

That is the reason that most railway signals have the red lamp at the bottom. No snow build up in front of the lens.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
S
LED's is going to be the next best thing since peanut butter and duct tape. I have used LED's for pilot light, I have a couple head lamps with LED's and Every project I am involve with that call for EXIT signs, they are LED's. They are everywhere up here. They are making leaps and bounds with LED's and some maufacuters are marketing task lighting that have LED bulbs. In a few years, we may be installing LED lights instead of fluoresent. Be careful though if you are thinking specing LED products. Know what you are buying and who you are getting it from. As the old sayig goes, if it is too good to be true, it is most likely is. Some of the LED products I have seen appear to be a little shady to me. Some of them seem to trying to make a quick buck.

A friend of mine used the LED christmas lights and made his local paper front page. The up front cost is high but they sure pay for themselves.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
I have used LEDs for indicators in everything I have built since the Ford administration. That is about when IBM started replacing all the "360" lamps with LEDs.

Greg Fretwell
R
I'm also doing a project for Vector. To upgrade OCB panel incandescent lamps with LED made assemblies.

These are 130 Volts filament lamps which are run at 120 Volts DC and give status indication of substation OCB's.
The lamps last normally about 2 months, and fail often earlier when a breaker trips a few times.
The lamps are B22 lamps.

I crush the lamp, clean out fitting and fit 2 series resistors and 3 or 5 LED's and a blocking diode.
A piece of 25 mm Ø conduit as outer housing.

The problem of lamps failing is now solved.
It takes me about 10 minutes per complete lamp assembly which will last now for a very long time.

The factory made LED lamps don't meet our requirements or are simply not available yet.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
G
Dropping 120 volts or so through a resistor is pretty inefficient (half a watt or more). If you do it with a capacitor the LED will still light but it won't get hot.
You still need the diode or a R/G LED that glows yellow on AC

Greg Fretwell
Most of the level (railroad) crossings on the Tarcoola-Darwin railway line have 12" LED lamps fitted. They are manufactured by Westinghouse.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard