ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#172544 12/20/07 11:39 PM
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
I was at Best Buy tonight wandering aimlessly and noticed the refrigerator with the built in TV and other gimmicks, but I when opened one refrigerator (I think it was GE) and saw the array of LED's at the top I thought, "now that's a perfect application. never burn out and no heat."

Which reminds me, I have a bulb that has been burned out in my fridge for over a year. good thing there's two.

S
Especially since LED's do not like heat.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
My company is doing a project for a major food producer where we are replacing 250 1000W MH fixtures with 300W LED fixtures in a 5 acre freezer at -30F. The reduction in heat from the MH's alone is calculated to pay for the changeover in about 3 years. The LED's in the 'fridge seem like a great idea along the same lines.

Good LED applications? Here's one we all see everyday:

Traffic lights.

Only disadvantages (and some cities won't use them because of this), is that they don't generate enough heat to melt the snow of the visors, and they don't last long in hotter climates.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
A
Originally Posted by Theelectrikid
Only disadvantages (and some cities won't use them because of this), is that they don't generate enough heat to melt the snow of the visors, and they don't last long in hotter climates. Ian A.

For some jurisdictions these would be mission critical issues.

S
That can be easily fixed persay. a heating element. It does not to be hot, just warm. You may not get the energy savings but you would get the longivity which will reduce maintenance cycle which still saves money. I ought to copy write my post.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
I don't know if this really qualifies as a good application or not, but it's something that I couldn't resist.

My wife and son came home one day last summer with slurpees and they bought these straws with clear plastic skulls, about the size of a walnut, near the tops. Inside the skulls were blue plastic brains. Pretty neat straws really. But I immediately thought about my son's broken fire truck sitting downstairs on my workbench...with two perfectly good LED emergency lights. So I remove the LED's, drill a hole through each eye in my straw-skull, insert LED's, and tape on two AA cells. I wired it all up and left a little piece of metal across the ends of the two cells...not quite touching so that if you push on it, it makes contact. When contact is made the LED's light up and my straw-skull has scary red demon eyes.

Maybe I'll grow up someday, but I doubt it. smile

Originally Posted by Jps1006
Which reminds me, I have a bulb that has been burned out in my fridge for over a year. good thing there's two.

When the final one goes, they carry appliance bulbs at Dollar Tree. You may have to replace them a little more frequently, but you can buy 4 for what the appliance shop/hardware store wants for them.

I like LED traffic lights, but they seem to fail quite often around here; patches of black or flickering. It's a moderate climate, so perhaps they are just being made poorly?

I can't wait for a practical solution for household LEDs; the household lamps you can buy with a hundred or so LEDs are way too expensive. The "real" white ones that have a combo of white and yellow LEDs to produce more "natural" light don't seem to blend together very well; some sort of fancy reflector/diffuser is in order. LEDs would solve the dimming problem that CFLs suffer from.

W
I am seeing more and more trucks on the road with LED tail and marker lights. A friend also has had them put on his enclosed trailer seem to work good for now.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
R
There is a small section of Highway 403 between Hamilton and Brantford that has LEDs embedded in the ashphalt and used as lane markers! Believe me they work far better than those little reflective cat's eyes!
A.D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard