ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
The copyright warning on my 2002 CD says;

All rights reserved. No part of the material protected by this copyright notice may be reproduced or utilized in any form without acknowledgment of the copyright owner nor may it be used in any form for resale without written permission from the copyright owner.

A strict reading of that would say that if you cite the code on a violation card you would have to seek permission of NFPA/pay them first. Personally I think that if this is adopted as a public law, which it is, they gave up their rights.
This whole idea of "copyrighted laws" flies in the face of the illusion of American freedom. The whole idea that this is the law but you have to send $140 to a 3d party to see it and you can't tell anyone about this law without paying them more money is ridiculous.
This is a boondoggle, pure and simple. People are getting fat on the NEC and they spread the money around through the manufacturers, "educators" and political bribes enough so it will continue. The entire industry generated by "code churn" does little to improve safety but it does add a lot of cost to the building business.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Sometimes the whole mess reminds me of "Spy vs Spy" in Mad magazine.

That the entire code making process may be flawed by design is a topic for another day.

My own view? Well, rhetoric aside, those who publish codes have to change their business model. There already exist several publishers who make "high for the industry" profits publishing works that are in the public domain. These publishers realize that the profit lies in the added features: illustrations, colored text, commentaries, etc.

The NFPA has insisted upon a different model. If they could, they'd charge you every time you read it, or recited if from memory. So, you can expect their products to be as 'user unfriendly' as possible. They see us as the "enemy."

Don:
I sent you a PM, don't know if it went though?
Yes, two (2) computers can be loaded with the '08 NEC CD (bought from NFPA) Legally!

Last year we got new PC's in the Mini Office, IT guys tried to load in the '05 NEC & Handbook.....no way! They wound up calling NFPA IT guys & got another key code for 2 downloads each.

Amazing how that works!

John
A
The kids @ the high school look upon secured CD's/DVD's as a challenge. So far the 3 (2-14 YO and a 15 YO) have not been stumped. They actually check out CD's/DVD's from the library, break the security, and make a copy. I challenged them on the 05 code about 2 months ago and it took them all of 10 minutes to breach the security lock and make a clean copy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard