ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gmack,

I'm not a union member, but my brother is.
We get along just fine that way smile

I immediately sent you a private message when I edited that post. Look up at the "My Stuff" at the top of the page, and you'll see it flashing.

Z
Although I appreciate Gmacks stance on the "toughness" issue, I myself came into the field from being a musician - can anybody think of a more "cushy" job than that?

My advise is to keep a good attitude and don't lose your sense of humor. You work with all kinds of personalities on any construction site, and being able to deal with people well is just as important as performing your function well.

Be considerate and THINK. And, no matter how tough things get, DON'T WHINE. Everybody hates a whiner!

Good Luck!

G
I started out in the trade at a small company, doing mostly light commercial and residential. Being that it was a small company, they took me under their collective wings and brought me along at an appropriate learning speed.

My best advice to you would be to find an environment where they will "take you in" and you will be allowed to ask many questions. The way I learned was not by just being told what to do, but by also thinking on my own, and asking questions pertaining to what I was doing. (when appropriate...don't annoy the guy by asking too much) Focus on each task to become proficiant at it. Also, pay attention to how the experienced guys are doing things...they usually know what they're doing.

one more thing..take in the jobsites as a whole, much can be learned from other tradesmen as well.

Last edited by goodwill; 12/18/07 11:47 AM. Reason: edited verbage
E
Yeah, going from being a desk jockey to an electrician or "grunt" is a tough transition

So is highschool student to electrician

Kbrown, make sure you get a really, really comfortable pair of boots, Redwings are great, but pricey, I'd suggest walking a few miles in the bots to break them in before heading out to the jobsite, all cotton clothing is often recommended, it's comfortable, afordable, and fire-resistant. Many members on this forum will tell you of joints and backs that ache constantly from years of labor, if you're on your knees a lot, get kneepads, try to minimise stooping, and never lift with the back, always the knees. you'll be sore the first few days, get lots of rest and take some Advil, you'll adjust. Stretching before and after the job is often looked upon strangely, but it helps.

One thing I've told a couple of my friends that are going into the field is: don't let them turn you into a drone, if a drone you become, a drone you will forever be, ask quick questions of the more experienced sparkies on the site, try and learn as much as you can, many foremen appreciate curiosity, some will tell you you're "wasting their time" and tell you to shut up, that means they're a bad boss, but it doesn't sound like you're in a position to change jobs right now, so try and learn as much as you can on your own, use this site as a resource, read the old posts, and don't be afraid to ask questions, most of the people on this site are ready and willing to answer almost any quesiton, and the members have centuries of collective knowledge.

If anyone ever tells you you must work something hot, politely refuse, if they fire you you will have means of recourse, it's better to be unemployed than dead, also be careful with heights and around sharp objects, falls will kill you just as dead as electrocution, and cuts are a huge hazard, we have to work around tons of sharp edges and tools.

Many people in the trades look down upon those with "cushy" desk jobs, and you may well experience some additional prejudice, in addition to the normal ribbing the FNG gets. Just remember, your career experience doesn't mean jack, and if anyone tells you and diferent, calls you a pansy, smile, and prove them wrong, it's attitude and motivation that count, and you sound like you know that darn well.

Stay healthy, stay motivated, and you'll make it, keep in touch, and drop by the chat rooms.

Good Luck
-Will

T
kbrown,

The work is going to be more physical than you're used to. Even easy work is on your feet all day. Most work is production type work, so you're expected to do a certain amount of work every day. That means you're expected to work at a pretty quick pace all the time. Get in shape & keep safe (Safety First).

Dave

KBrown:
First, welcome to ECN.
That said, I teach (PT Even at County Vo-Tech) to 'entry level' guys entering the field. They range from 17 to 55 years old, and from all walks of life. Some are working in this field, some are making job/career adjustments. Office guys, truck drivers, maintenance guys, electronics guys, one (1) was/is a real live lic. Architect, and a few females over the years.

I talk to them nite one, about this field, and construction trades, weather, safety, physical and mental conditions, and anything else that pertains. YES, I 'loose' a few! Next I show a safety video, with arc flash accidents (staged testing), and perhaps I 'loose' another.

BTW, guys are IBEW and non-IBEW, not that that matters.

As to this site, ECN is a great place to hang out. You can 'learn'; you can ask questions, etc. DO NOT let the opinion of one guy 'sway' you to bail out. The decision has to be yours.

Good luck! Stay safe!

Happy Holidays; Merry Christmas!!

John
S
It's kind of funny hearing all the posts about how physically demanding our trade is.Having worked in masonry,roofing,drywall and some others.When I began my career 20 some years ago in electrical work I found it very easy physically.I also noticed there were more old guys in electrical work than most other trades.That being said I learn something new almost daily.When you think you know it all in this trade.You better put your tools down quick.Because it will not be pretty.Then again coming from a desk job you may not make it a month.Showing respect and doing as told will always serve you well.

Good luck!

".I also noticed there were more old guys in electrical work than most other trades"

Don't know if thats a compliment.....or an insult!

Surfin, I guess the physical ranges depends on what you do!

John
Originally Posted by Surfinsparky
...I also noticed there were more old guys in electrical work than most other trades.

Yeah, but check their knees... shocked

G
I suppose the physical part depends on what kind of electrician you are. Punching down CAT 5 cables and trimming out Romex is not that big a deal but if you are horsing 750MCM copper into a pipe or standing 50 feet in the air on pole gaffs driving "hard heads" into SYP poles that is about as physical as it gets.

I still wouldn't trade any of these jobs with the guy who is hot mopping a roof and throwing around 30 pound roof tile all day ... 30 feet off the ground.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard