ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 227 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
bb Offline
I've got a 24v Ridgid impact driver, and I love the thing. So far the only problem I've had is that I've accidentaly sheared the heads off of several tapcons. It's a little heavy, though. I've stopped even carrying my regular drill with me!

L
Wow, Pretty positive feed back!
I guess I'll try one.
I would never give it a thought, well maybe for changeing tires and water pumps...

But the more i read here and think about it, it makes sense.

S
I picked up a corded hitachi impact drill (marketed as a "hammer drill" for whatever reason, but is actually an impact drill) and can confirm that the impact action cuts significantly faster than the drill action alone. It also destroys bits in a hurry and instantly strips screws, too.

I normally use it on plane ole' drill mode so as to not overheat/overstress bits. (Ths instructions say specifically to NOT use impact action when drilling.) Though the temptation to spin a big dull hole saw at high RPM in impact mode is high...

In my drill, even in impact mode, it will drill normally until you bear down hard enough for the impact mechanism to start slipping. THEN you get the impact action. It has a standard chuck, too. This is a corded high-power, high-torque model, and the torque can be enough to really tear your arm up if the second handle isn't attached. So, my experience using a high-powered impact drill may be different than someone using a lower-powered cordless impact drill.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 12/17/07 08:49 AM.
Cat Servant
Steve, I am not aware of ant 'combo' drill / impact drivers being sold. I think you have a hammer drill. Let me explain the difference:

A hammer drill is used for drilling in masonry. Almost everyone sells combo drill/ hammer drill models. In a hammer drill, the impacts are directed forward, into the work.

An impact driver may sound sort of similar, but the impacts are directed in the direction of the rotation. You can even get the impacts when backing out of the work. You absolutely will never feel the tool want to 'tear your arm off.'

In appearance, one of the main ways to tell them apart is that an impact driver almost never has a standard chuck; it has a little collar that you lift, to insert a bit with a 1/4" hex shank. It will not accept anything else.
I have not destroyed any bits, and twisting screw heads off has not been a problem at all.

I think you have a different tool.

S
According to the manufacturer, it's an impact drill:

http://www.hitachi-koki.com/powertools/products/drill/fdv16vb2/fdv16vb2.html

There's a button near the chuck to engage/disengage the impact mechanism. Lowes markets this as a hammer drill. There is no forward hammer motion, it's all rotary action. It is an impact *drill*, not an impact *driver*. I don't think it would do a very good job removing torqued-down lug-nuts, for instance, it just doesn't have the torque.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 12/17/07 01:49 PM.
Cat Servant
Going to have to chide the Japanese for blowing it on translating terms.

The pictured Hitachi is, without a doubt, a hammer-drill. And, yes, there is a forward hammering motion when set in the 'hammer' mode. That motion might not be visible; it's created by a simple mechanism that can best be described as two poker chips riding atop each other. That's the noise you hear.

"Fine Homebuilding" currently has a 'special issue' out devoted to tools. They have within all manner of explanation and pretty artwork describing the impact driver.

S
The best drill I've ever owned.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...del.EY7201GQKW_11002_7000000000000005702

Once you own one, you will wonder how you ever lived with out it.

L
I still have and use a very trustworthy friend.. An Impact driver. It accepts a 1/2" drive socket and you wack it with a hammer.
Would'nt want to wire a house with it... But very effective on a clutch hub.

F
here is the youtube demo about the cordless impact driver

this will explain the simple operation i know there is few other brandname will show up as well.

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

E
e57 Offline
Reno I've been using impact drivers for years - had I known you were still in the dark ages I would have let you in on this secret sooner.... eek

Now you wanna have some fun - chuck your unibit in the trash. Cut a 1/4" hole for the arbor then the hole size you want - much faster that a unibit!
[Linked Image from toolbarn.com]

Also Panasonic does make an impact and drill combo - the chuck comes off to expose the impact driver. Years ago it was THE BEST thing on the market - but had little distribution, and darned pricey... IMO it has been surpassed in price and quality by some of the Makita combo's.
[Linked Image from makita.com]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard