ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1713 05/28/01 08:07 AM
C
habbbby,

I'm from Pennsylvania. I believe most Cities and Townships require a license to perform electrical work. In Pittsburgh, legal proof of work experience under a Certified Contractor is required before you can sit for the written examination. If you pass the examination the license renewal fee is $190.00 per year.

Frank (cinkerf)

#1714 05/28/01 08:53 AM
Broom Pusher and
Manual "Kill" of this message.

SET

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 05-29-2001).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#1715 05/28/01 08:56 AM
R
Originally posted by habbbby:
No, there is no apprentice program at my company. I wouldn't go through a apprenticship anyway at this point. What does it take exactly for a Journeymans License? An apprenticship? Wouldn't industrial experience with some residental experience be recognized? And sparky, what is a IAEI? And what bureacratic agency must I seek to get info on it? [Linked Image] Study guides?

Habbbby,
In PA, it is a Journeymans CARD not really a license. It is issued by the state. Most apprenticeship programs will allow you advanced placement in the educational part by taking tests(you may only need one or two years of evening class, instead of four). The state will give you credit for previous work history for up to 6400 of the 8000 hrs. required, if you can document the experience.I know this sounds extreme, but if you really want the credential, you might get a job with a company that has a program.I actually convinced my company to start a program. It requires minimal effort on the companys part.Just sign a few papers and agree to a structured pay scale of their own choosing.

#1716 05/28/01 10:18 AM
H
I guess Iam confused, I worked with some electricians from the local about 3 years ago. They liked my work and knowledge at the industrial level and the company they were working for asked me if I wanted a job. We talked about what was required and the local union guys told me that the apprenticeship program was by the way side and that with my knowledge and ability I would be a shoe in. I asked about testing and they said all I would have to do was take a test on the NEC which was open book. What would they have been talking about if it wasn't a journeymans card? By the way, this was a Harrisburg local.

#1717 05/28/01 11:35 AM
H
Hmmm.... Ok That a hint Mr. Moderator?
Originally posted by Scott35:
Steve,

Quite on the money with this one, I would say!! [AKA - ROTFLOL!! [Linked Image]]

Scott SET

#1718 05/28/01 07:08 PM
habbbby,

Hmmm.... Ok That a hint Mr. Moderator?
Don't read anything into that remark.
[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#1719 05/29/01 11:12 PM
Broom Pusher and
habbbby,

Sorry about that message - it was not meant to be insulting to anyone at all.

What I was refering to is mostly leaned towards the tech theory stuff mentioned at times, plus the way threads can end up going into a humorous, somewhat non-related level with "inside jokes" being mentioned a lot.

If I have offended anyone, please accept my appology.

The message was in bad taste, so I will delete it right after posting this one.

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#1720 05/30/01 01:26 AM
Scott,

I'm sure that those of us that know you did not take your comment to mean anything in a bad way towards anyone.

Bill

Bill
#1721 05/30/01 03:55 PM
H
Thats cool by me, and thanks for easing my thoughts. Although, I did read into it a little and well there is some truth on my part in that statement. I have been a industrial electrician for 12 years or so. Residential contracting isnt my speciality but am interested in electricty period. And would love to know half of what the vet. resid. guys here know. No offense taken and thanks for the kind response. Just a steady learner here. Thanks

#1722 06/10/01 10:08 PM
S
Originally posted by txsparky:
slam tex, I too am from spring texas,work for a contractor in conroe.Ive taken and passed my sbcci master exam and am considering taking houston master.Heard it was a real b*^%h!Any word on whether Houston will ever go sbcci?Seems they and San Antonio are the only major cities left that havent.

I'm not sure about when it will become SBCCI, but I'm sure that it will eventually. I wish that I could say that it won't happen, but we are one of the few left that aren't SBCCI. I did hear that it failed to pass that State Legislature this time.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard