Bold in folowing quote added by me:
With the breakers off there was either a service disconnect somewhere that wasn't shut off or the service entrance conductors were run inside the house without protection.
There is nothing colder than a house fire in the winter. Even in Texas.
That would be my vote for the best explanation of what happened to cause the firefighter's to get shocked.
Another possibility: If the overhead drop was directly above the roof, and either sagged or fell onto the HVAC unit, that could energize the ductwork.
<snip> The rest of the news report is but testimony to the absolute ignorance of the 'talking heads.' Ground wire? Stray voltage? I think not. <snip>
Absolutely. Here in earthquake country, we have a lot of expulsion fuses that blow from the lines swaying into each other, etc. and the news reports always claim there were "transformer explosions." If they were right the POCO's here would go bankrupt replacing all those "transformers" after each earthquake.
Most of those dolts wouldn't know what a transformer was even if it hit them on the head.