ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Furnace igniter leaking noise to stereo
by geoff in UK. 05/23/18 01:18 PM
Opinions Please
by Keith_Mc. 05/23/18 09:22 AM
Quickbooks
by Keith_Mc. 05/23/18 09:19 AM
Accounting
by Keith_Mc. 05/23/18 09:16 AM
Don't you buy this stuff
by gfretwell. 05/23/18 01:41 AM
New in the Gallery:
Plug terminals
Housebilding DIY wiring
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Workers Shocked Putting up Christmas Lights #171476
11/28/07 11:39 PM
11/28/07 11:39 PM
Admin  Offline
OP
Administrator
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,496
NY, USA
Condition improves for workers who were shocked while putting up Xmas lights

Nov 26, 2007

RED DEER, Alta. -- The company that employed several workers who were shocked with electricity while putting up Christmas decorations says the men's conditions are improving.

King's Energy Services Ltd. president Jason King says other workers at the site jumped into action after four co-workers were zapped by 25,000 volts of electricity on Saturday.

Two of the men were initially listed in critical condition.

King says one of those men may be allowed to go home as early as this week, while the other man is now in serious but stable condition.

He says five workers were trying to reposition one of the metal-framed light displays outside the Red Deer business when it came close to the overhead power line.

Occupational Health and Safety has issued a stop work order to the company against putting up any more of the Christmas decorations.

Names of the men haven't been released.

Four people suffered electric shock, including the two who were critically injured.

A fifth worker had inadvertently grounded himself due to the way he was holding onto the display and wasn't hurt.

He, along with the two less-badly injured workers, began treating the pair who were more-seriously shocked.

"Because of the quick actions of everyone who was involved, I would highly suggest they saved the lives of two people," said King on Monday.

"They were able to get mobilized," King said. "They did an initial triage assessment." King said the men who were putting up the display had done the same type of work before.

A spokesman for Occupational Health and Safety, Barrie Harrison, said officers from Red Deer will be investigating over several days.

King's Energy Services must also do a hazardous assessment and assess safe working distances around power lines.

(submitted by Tony Moscioni)

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Re: Workers Shocked Putting up Christmas Lights [Re: Admin] #171489
11/29/07 09:59 AM
11/29/07 09:59 AM
E
electech  Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 113
Northern Il
"shocked with electricity"

Electricity is the worst thing to be shocked with.

"A fifth worker had inadvertently grounded himself due to the way he was holding onto the display and wasn't hurt."

Next time I'm working on electric stuff, I'll have my bare feet in a puddle of water just for safety. I bet those other four guys were working ungrounded, or worst yet, with work boots or gloves on. Gonna go talk to the boss about my plan now, wish me luck.


Re: Workers Shocked Putting up Christmas Lights [Re: electech] #171491
11/29/07 11:13 AM
11/29/07 11:13 AM
Retired_Helper  Offline
Member
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 165
Maine
Originally Posted by electech
Next time I'm working on electric stuff, I'll have my bare feet in a puddle of water just for safety. I bet those other four guys were working ungrounded, or worst yet, with work boots or gloves on. Gonna go talk to the boss about my plan now, wish me luck.

I'm glad it's not just me. I was wondering what I was missing here. smirk

Re: Workers Shocked Putting up Christmas Lights [Re: Retired_Helper] #171509
11/29/07 09:08 PM
11/29/07 09:08 PM
L
leland  Offline
Member
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Lowell area, Ma. USA
I always "inadvertently ground" Myself, for this very reason. Don't want anything sneaking up on me.

Seriously, We all must be carefull and pass the word, These "pretty lights" can and do hurt alot of people.
The average homeowner does not consider these dangerous.But it is as bad as putting the lights in their game room.

Re: Workers Shocked Putting up Christmas Lights [Re: leland] #171878
12/07/07 05:45 PM
12/07/07 05:45 PM
Trumpy  Offline

Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,236
SI,New Zealand
Thanks for the story, Tony,
Now, I can't see why, in this day and age people are still getting hurt around HV power lines.
Look, it's not rocket science, or is it?
You have two simple options, either shield the HV line with cover-ups/line-hose or at least wear insulated gloves and outers when working around HV stuff.
These sorts of accidents don't need to happen at all and they can easily be prevented.
It seems to me that Safety Observers down at ground level would have helped.
I really feel for the guys that have suffered these injuries, they should never have happened in the first place.


Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
sbi
sbi
indiana
Posts: 47
Joined: March 2008
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
twh 12
Popular Topics(Views)
246,882 Are you busy
184,227 Re: Forum
173,461 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.025s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.9718 MB (Peak: 1.1130 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-05-23 20:49:57 UTC