ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#171273 11/23/07 08:09 PM
W
Here's my problem. Have A driectTv Dish(new)with 4 outputs. going into a multiplexer with 8 outputs. I ran 5 of those outputs to new Direct tv recievers. I'm getting a 0% signal across the board. I disconnect from the multiplex put my satelite signal detector inline withthe receiver and the dish and get the full 10. which is the highest signal strength. I'm just hooking this system up for a friend who owns a bar, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Do I have to also install the phone lines to the receivers or will theywork with out one?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

WireNuts29 #171283 11/23/07 11:32 PM
W
Is the mux designed for direct tv? Mux must pass polarity signals from the receiver as well as LNB power. dish and direct are different.

WESTUPLACE #171305 11/24/07 09:30 PM
W
We figured out the problem today. The satelite finder meter was not calibrated properly, and therefore the dish never was aimed properly. We re positioned the dish. And it worked perfectly. So long story short is I could have saved alot of headaches, and checking, and double checking of connections if I checked the claibrations of the meter first. dohhh. Now I know.
I have a better respect for the installers now. Except for the hacks who run the coax along the side of buildings and drill in where they think the tv, or computer will go. That is a terrible way to install anything.I've seen first hand one of the dish networks' contractors drill through the wall in my apartment, through the electric baseboard heat. and the kicker is he ran the coax right through that hole in the heater. That was a pretty hack job, especially since it was a first floor unit in a complex, and a former tenant had a dish outside. There was an outline of the mounting base and a line in the paint where the coax was installed previously leading up to a small hole which was siliconed, not in the back of the baseboard heat.
I cancelled the service when I got home from work and saw that garbage. I told them to send that guy out to get the equiptment too. When he came I showed him how bad it was, and he agreed.....

WireNuts29 #171307 11/24/07 10:15 PM
L
So I guess you'll be watching the Pats at the bar?

WireNuts29 #171319 11/25/07 11:06 AM
P
Originally Posted by WireNuts29
Except for the hacks who run the coax along the side of buildings and drill in where they think the tv, or computer will go.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the standard method here where the installation is included as part of the package deal by the likes of Sky. They just want the installers to knock out as many systems in a day as they can. The cable is just shoved through the wall, a little sealer run around inside and out, and that's it. You won't find proper sockets on the wall, or even an outlet plate for the coax.

pauluk #171326 11/25/07 01:28 PM
L
Must be some "International standard" they are tought.
If ECs' did that, with any conductor,We'ld either be in court or broke, perhaps both.

Link Copied to Clipboard