ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#171072 11/19/07 07:01 AM
A
First I attempted to post this question in the technical forum but was rejected so I hope its ok that I place this here for now. I'm currently attempting to delve into a book called Alternating Current Fundamentals / Sixth Edition(Delmar Thomson Learning), I'm hoping someone might have some form of familiarity with this text.Chapter 1 Achievement review Question #5(If the rotating line of figure 1-8 has a length of one unit,determine its projection or shadow on the x & Y Axes at 30 degrees, 45 degrees, 120 degrees,and 240 degrees.)Refer to Fig. 1-8 and appendices 4&5. I simply don't get what is expected of me, in the whole question. Any help would be appreciated

N
Just guessing from your description:

You have 4 cases. In each case, there is a line of 1 unit long, one end at the origin (0,0) where the angle between the line and the x-axis is 30, 45, 120, and 240 degrees (one per case).

They want to know if you draw lines from the other end to the X and Y axes, where do they cross them?

The original line, the axis, and the projected line form a right triangle with the 1-unit line being the hypotenuse. The definitions of sine and cosine (sine = opposite/hypotenuse, cosine = adjacent/hypotenuse) will let you calculate the answer.

One thing to be careful of, most calculators expect the angles to be in radians, not degrees.

E
I do believe the answer to the question is the shadow on the x-axis corresponds to a sine wave, and the shadow on the y-axis corresponds to a cosine wave.

Earl

Link Copied to Clipboard