ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1703 05/23/01 11:23 AM
S
I have worked with and for many 'masters' who , once gaining their ticket, have simply lost their code book.
Likewise, i have worked with many a hot apprentice, which can really be an opportune learning experience for both parties.

My point is, either your into what you do or not, all paper in your wallet aside.

I have known many individuals who have made up for lack of aptitude with attitude, these are the people that eat,sleep,talk, walk what they do.
They do well because they simply LIKE what they do.
[Linked Image]

#1704 05/23/01 04:52 PM
T
What is a Master Electrician?
Here in Toronto, Ontario, some municipal by-laws dictate that all electrical contracting companies require a Master Electrician. In the by-laws of some provincial municipalities, it may be defined in the following manner: "Master Electrician" means a person who is skilled in the planning, superintending, and installing of wires, conduits, apparatus, fixtures or appliances for the carrying on or using of electricity for light, heat or power purposes, who is familiar with the laws, rules and regulations governing same, who has a regular place of business in the municipal area and who him/herself, or by qualified electricians in his/her employ, performs electrical work.

Qualifications of a Master Electrician
In order to obtain a Master Electrician Qualification, a person must possess a valid Ontario Ministry of Education and Training "Certificate of Qualification" plus have passed the "Master Electrician Examination". The electrical "Certificate of Qualification" is usually obtained by completing the Ontario apprenticeship program and passing the subsequent examination.

#1705 05/27/01 09:30 AM
C
Does anybody know if the Block and Associates Master examination reciprocates with any other Examining Board?

Frank (cinkerf)

#1706 05/27/01 05:11 PM
Tom Offline
Virgil,

The company I work for when I do inspections is looking for inspectors in areas that they don't cover right now. If you're interested, E-mail me & I'll tell you who to get in touch with. They have the study guides available for you to use.

I make the disparaging comments about licensing in WV because it was bungled for so long. Maybe now that we finally have a new State Fire Marshall, things will change for the better, though I seriously doubt it. Remember, your $50 a year goes towards buying new cars & other things for the Fire Marshall, very little goes towards enforcement.

By the way, we almost had a state law requireing that electrical inspectors hold a masters license and pass a test. Imagine that, a grandfatheed master electrician who is currently doing inspections could have become a grandfathered inspector. Our governor wisely (inside joke) vetoed it.

Keep up the good work.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#1707 05/27/01 05:11 PM
H
Iam from PA and I understand there is no state wide requirement to be licensed to perform electrical work. I have been a industrial electrician for 12 years. Is there anyone who knows if there is a state wide license in PA, either required or not, that I could get information on? I would like to have some kind of certification, so I can at lease say I have it. Also, what good is a license if all it really tests is your ability to read the NEC in a open book forum?

#1708 05/27/01 06:26 PM
S
Hi habbbby,
welcome!
If your state does no certification testing you could always take an IAEI test. This is a respectable cert in the electrical world.

[Linked Image]

#1709 05/27/01 07:59 PM
R
Originally posted by habbbby:
Iam from PA and I understand there is no state wide requirement to be licensed to perform electrical work. I have been a industrial electrician for 12 years. Is there anyone who knows if there is a state wide license in PA, either required or not, that I could get information on? I would like to have some kind of certification, so I can at lease say I have it. Also, what good is a license if all it really tests is your ability to read the NEC in a open book forum?
Habbbby,
Welcome.
Some of the cities and larger towns in PA have tests for electrical licenses. Others simply have a form to fill out. Those that require a test will usually honor a license from another area that requires a test.(Newtown honors Phila.)I dont know where you live, but in Lower Bucks Co. a Phila. license is probably your best bet. Also, does your company offer a state approved apprenticeship program? Completing this will get you a Journeymans card, which is another worthwhile credential.

#1710 05/27/01 09:12 PM
T
slam tex, I too am from spring texas,work for a contractor in conroe.Ive taken and passed my sbcci master exam and am considering taking houston master.Heard it was a real b*^%h!Any word on whether Houston will ever go sbcci?Seems they and San Antonio are the only major cities left that havent.

Donnie
#1711 05/27/01 11:24 PM
H
No, there is no apprentice program at my company. I wouldn't go through a apprenticship anyway at this point. What does it take exactly for a Journeymans License? An apprenticship? Wouldn't industrial experience with some residental experience be recognized? And sparky, what is a IAEI? And what bureacratic agency must I seek to get info on it? [Linked Image] Study guides?

#1712 05/28/01 01:15 AM
habbbby,

Welcome!
IAEI stands for International Association of Electrical Inspectors. You don't have to be an Inspector to be a Member. Many of us here are members. Dues are about $50 per year.
http://www.iaei.com/

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard