ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 405 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#170611 11/07/07 02:20 AM
M
marsbar Offline OP
I am in a manufacturing eviroment and contractors have built an expansion. We tested the E-lights (exit sign with 2 heads) and they are connected to 120v ceiling CCTs. Section 46 - 400 (CEC) is not clear as to exit with heads off of a lighting CCT. Please advise.

S
It's explained in the CE Code Handbook. I'll copy it word for word if you don't have the book:
"If an exit sign is required by a building code and is electrically illuminated, Rule 46-400 requires that the power for the sign be provided by
- a branch circuit that supplies only other exit signs; or
- a branch circuit that supplies emergency lighting.
However, in an area where exit signs are installed and where emergency lighting is required by the NBCC or local building codes, exit signs must be illuminated by an emergency power supply only. This ensures that the exit sign provides light whenever the emergency lighting is energized
."

What we've done in the past is connect the combo packs (exit/emerg. lights) to their own circuit and run the circuit through NO contacts on a definite purpose contactor. The contactor coil is held in by the lighting circuit (before any switching). If the power goes off or the breaker for the lighting trips, it will drop out the contactor and the emergency/exit lights will come on.

By installing it this way, you're able to keep the exit signs on their own circuit yet have them activated by any loss of power to the lighting circuit. Hope this helps.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
M
marsbar Offline OP
Thank - You that's what I was looking for.

Link Copied to Clipboard