ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Originally Posted by mamills
I also have a bunch of these things in my collection - more as a curiosity than anything else, since I never use them. I did, however, see a house one time (while on an EMS call) where THREE of these things were screwed into one of those porcelain keyless lampholders in the middle of the living room ceiling. Extension cords were plugged into this outfit and "radiated" out to every corner of the room, and then some. I was too horrified to look much further to see what was plugged into this mess. And surprisingly enough, we have not yet had a fire call at this residence...but I can smell it coming.

Mike (mamills)

At the risk of being lynched, I do have one of these in use in the closet socket (I never use a light in there anyways, so there's no bulb in it). It's used to connect two small strings of christmas lights which line my doorways (so I can just flip em on/off by the wall switch). Although I should just use a Y adaptor and two of those screw shell adaptors. There's nothing more than those two strings of mini-lights plugged into it.

Cliff
C
Originally Posted by SvenNYC
Hope you didn't pay more than one dollar for that thing. I've seen them here in the 99 cent stores.

I did not buy it I saw it forsale on eBay with all of the other unsafe electrical stuff the sellers can come up with to try to make a buck

- Peter

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
S
I must confess, I've used these to run christmas lights from a porch light. Thankfully, few people know they exist, or it would be a lot more widespread. At least people like us realize those light fixtures were only designed for 0.5A worth of 60W bulbs, and we refrain from plugging more than 5 or 6 strings of lights into them.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 11/01/07 12:30 PM.
H
Originally Posted by SteveFehr
I must confess, I've used these to run christmas lights from a porch light. Thankfully, few people know they exist, or it would be a lot more widespread. At least people like us realize those light fixtures were only designed for 0.5A worth of 60W bulbs, and we refrain from plugging more than 5 or 6 strings of lights into them.

Back in FL, alot of people used these to connect a string of christmas lights to post lamps. Purpose of this was to wrap said lights around said lamp post.

Cliff
These are available at the local Ace or Orange Box store for about $1.50. I suspect their use is more common than we notice.

H
Seen them in the Orange Box store here today, along with the infamous Y adaptors, and the edison to plug adaptors. Safe only if used RIGHT I'm sure.

Cliff
C
I use them too. Usually to run an extra light, temporarily of course. I haave used them in the bar to power a radio, so it goes on and off with the lights, not to mention their not being a receptical handy where I want to place the radio.

S
Originally Posted by mamills
where THREE of these things were screwed into one of those porcelain keyless lampholders in the middle of the living room ceiling. Extension cords were plugged into this outfit and "radiated" out to every corner of the room, and then some.

There are still dwellings where the only available "receptacle" is one of those taps screwed into a lamp socket dangling from, or screwed to, the ceiling.

I use one over my workbench for the light. I installed a surface mount porcelain receptacle on the underside of a shelf and needed a switch to turn the bulb on and off. Presto. And when the chain finally pulls out of the device -- as they often do -- you just replace and chuck out the old one. smile

And before any of you go after me with the electric cattle prods, no, it's not one of those open-terminal cleat lampholders. It's got a porcelain collar that screws over the base to cover the terminal screws all nice and proper like. crazy

Sven: I'm not sure I've seen one of those. How about a picture?

T

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard