ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#170177 10/29/07 08:30 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Submitted by HCE727:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

The guy that wired this panel must have had shares in a wire-nut factory.

M
Is there anything supporting this big panel? What kind of strap is that holding the main breaker down...?

That's quite a bird's nest...

Mike (mamills)

E
Looks like he took a 30 circuit MLO panel and backfed a 100 amp breaker for a main. Since there are no main lugs present, I am guessing that's a GE panel. They used to make them with a pair of main lugs that would occupy the footprint of two full pole spaces. My guess would be that he pulled out the lug module and replaced it with a breaker (hey, at least there's a main)!

I sure hope that strap holding the main down isn't made of metal because it sure looks like it's crossing directly over the bus bar.

I also like how he brought the armored GEC all the way into the neutral bar instead of stripping the armor. Maybe he just didn't know how to strip it.

I am not quite sure that I understand what the sub panel is even there for. It seems that the main panel still has plenty of spaces, although getting wiring to them might be a bit of a challenge.

Now, what about what appears to be a 14/2 NM exiting the left side of the big panel? It looks to either be cut off or embedded in the masonry wall.

"Shares in the wire nut factory"....Now that's funny! laugh

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Originally Posted by EV607797
I also like how he brought the armored GEC all the way into the neutral bar instead of stripping the armor. Maybe he just didn't know how to strip it.

Ed,
I was looking at that last night and was wondering exactly what that wire was.
It does look a little strange to a person that very rarely sees that type of cable.
One other thing, how thick are the bus-bars used in these panels?

Last edited by Trumpy; 10/29/07 08:40 PM. Reason: Typo
N
Originally Posted by EV607797
Looks like he took a 30 circuit MLO panel and backfed a 100 amp breaker for a main. Since there are no main lugs present, I am guessing that's a GE panel. They used to make them with a pair of main lugs that would occupy the footprint of two full pole spaces. My guess would be that he pulled out the lug module and replaced it with a breaker (hey, at least there's a main)!

I sure hope that strap holding the main down isn't made of metal because it sure looks like it's crossing directly over the bus bar.

I am not quite sure that I understand what the sub panel is even there for. It seems that the main panel still has plenty of spaces, although getting wiring to them might be a bit of a challenge.

Now, what about what appears to be a 14/2 NM exiting the left side of the big panel? It looks to either be cut off or embedded in the masonry wall.

"Shares in the wire nut factory"....Now that's funny! laugh

Not a GE panel,might be a Murray.

L
"Now, what about what appears to be a 14/2 NM exiting the left side of the big panel? It looks to either be cut off or embedded in the masonry wall."

... On a 2-pole 20!?

L
"Now, what about what appears to be a 14/2 NM exiting the left side of the big panel? It looks to either be cut off or embedded in the masonry wall."

I think it goes behind the panel and is one of the two cables going into the receptacle on the right side.

Or else it is the cable coming up behind the backer board for the little sub panel.

Larry C

N
Is that little panel a genny transfer panel? That might explain all of those red wires and wirenuts.

Link Copied to Clipboard