ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
I see in the code that you're not suppose to use vegetation such as a tree for securing overhead spans, but does it say anywhere that you cannot use them for mounting means, such as a flood light? I didn't think you could, but don't know the code reference. I would be coming up from the bottom of the tree for the feed. And if not for 120 volts, how about low voltage wiring?? Thanks... Steve

Last edited by sparkync; 10/24/07 01:04 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Y
2005 N.E.C. 410.16 (H)

S
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I had read it but couldn't remenber where it was. I'm assuming this is including low voltage lighting also, even though they make the low voltage lighting for tree application and in their spec's show mounting them in trees or is there another reference for this. I didn't see any exceptions. Thanks again. Steve

Steve:
Basoically, you can install a fixture on a tree, or other live vegatation. You CANNOT support wiring from 'tree to tree' or structure to tree.

Common practice for landscape lighting is to mount fixtures in the tree with the circuit coming up from the ground. PVC conduit with listed straps. Long term maintenance will be required as the tree grows.

Reference is 410.16 (h)

John
G
What about my Xmas tree smile
Hey aren't utility poles dead trees?
Actually I agree with John.

George Little
Originally Posted by George Little
What about my Xmas tree smile
Hey aren't utility poles dead trees?

If that's the case then we have to rewrite the whole code when it comes to stick-frame.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
G
Come on George, you know the NEC doesn't apply to holiday decorations. You can run zip cord in an "assembly" occupancy, string lights outside in the snow that wouldn't be safe at 12v but run on 120. This is when they sell 3 packs of cube taps and cheap extension cords by the cartful.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Christmas lights in a hospital room.
If you are ever going to trip a breaker it is usually at Christmas.
What could possibly go wrong with putting a tree in your house that was killed a month and a half ago, hauled half way across the country and stacked in the sun for a few weeks. Then you take it home, pack it with a kilowatt of asian lights with questionable listing marks and ignore it for hours.

Is there anyone here who doesn't have a Christmas fire story a friend of a friend away (or closer)?

Greg Fretwell
G
Yeah Greg, Silly me. Your right, I forgot about the most Holy seasons like Halloween, Thanksgiving, Xmas etc when the code takes a holiday.

I cringe when I make an inspection and see a screw in adaptor in the proch fixture feeding a 3 wire plug strip where the ground prong is not connected to anything and the strip has no less than 6 strings of lights plugged into it.

Silly me. HEY the plug strip has an overcurrent device in it!! Kinda Spooooky at Halloween.

George Little
Z
Well, everybody knows that you can hook up as many x-mas light strands as you want in a row. After all, they're just LITTLE bulbs. Besides, you have to have more lights than your neighbor. Don't wann look STUPID!

S
Didja all see that mythbusters where they kept plugging in christmas lights trying to catch the tree on fire? Apparently, they just wouldn't get hot enough; they'd blow the internal fuses first.

They DID, however, plug in way too many lights in parallel on the thinnest extension cord they could find, just like too many homeowners, and succeeded in lighting the cord up like a torch. Was interesting, to say the least!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard