ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#169850 10/18/07 07:18 AM
W
I bought a case of 20 amp single pole General Electric breakers from the big box store, when I went to put them in 5 of them are in the tripped position and will not turn off so they will reset. The handle is not stuck it just moves around like it is broken off. Anybody else had trouble with bad breakers?

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Jimmy,
Was the box open? The C/Bs should have all been in the tripped position. They run through a magnet just prior to shipping which trips the magnetic trip.

Big box stores take returns and unless there is a defect according to the customer, put them right back into stock on the shelves.

Always check EVERYTHING that you buy from the big box for SKUs, bar codes, prices on the receipts (sometimes double of the shelf price), and obvious defects.

Don't worry though, they will take the CBs back (and unless you tell them about the defects, will put them right back on the shelf for the next unsuspecting customer)

B
Even if you do tell them about the defects they will probably still put them back on the shelf.

My customer bought a ceiling fan, when I opened it the glass bowl for the light was missing. Inside the box flap, written in black marker, was "BROKEN GLASS". Someone just sealed it up and put it back on the shelf.

Link Copied to Clipboard