ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 262 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Doing a job wiring a finished basement in another city that I haven't wired in b4 so I called the inspector to see about the use of 14 gauge romex ( The neighboring city strictly forbids 14. Some kind of local ordinance) The inspector calls me back and says I can use 14 on the switch legs but not on the home runs and I can still use a 20 amp breaker! In my local home area, if you use any 14 in a circuit it must be on a 15 amp breaker. I had planned to wire the entire thing out of 14 but I am glad I called!
Chris

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
Chris,
I ran into a similar deal here where I live. I had pulled all the switch legs and homeruns in 12awg, the inspector told me I had to change the switch legs to 14awg and still fuse them at 20 amps. Makes no sense to me, I did not change them, made an apppeal to the board in the county where I was working and got that job approved. I dont know about the next one!!

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Y
#14 wires good for 15 amps must be protected as such Except for 219.19 A(4) for branch circuits and in Article 430 mtrs.
As far as I see it.

C
I run into 14g back fed switch legs on 20A ckts in older say 50's - 70's homes around here quite often.
It was explained to me years ago that they used to allow that and since the "true rating" of 14g copper is 20A before the derating applied by 240.4(D) I shouldn't freak out and change all the breakers to 15A. I'm still tempted to.
I can't imagine why someone would actually require it done that way.
It's also common to run into really old fuse boxes protecting 12g K&T or cloth and paperwound cable at 30A and it seems it was installed that way by the original installer.

On another note: I can't find article 219 in any of my code books.

Y
OPPS 210.19 A (4) 2005 N.E.C.

Last edited by Yoopersup; 10/18/07 01:21 PM.
G
ref 210.19
... as long as that tap is 18" or less.

Greg Fretwell
I just looked in the 1940 NEC, and the rules, including the 18" tap rule are the same.

Off the topic a little bit, would K&T be considered to be in "free air".

I think your inspector must be "missing" something wink

C
I would love to hear both Chris and Jimmy's inspectors explanations for why they are allowing/requiring this.

Coincedetally, I had a callback yesterday to a house I finished about 8 months ago for a laundry light switch tripping the breaker.
Turned out to be the plumber had hammered one of his wire gas hold down straps hard across my 14/2G switch leg. The laundry room is more of a hall closet and I'm sure the light didn't run much or it would have shown up sooner. In the few times it tripped it had already burned the ground open and was working on burning the hot and neutral wires open. I wouldn't have wanted it breakered at 20A. But then again maybe that would have opened it up and cleared the fault sooner? Or just provided more energy to start the fire?

C
Well I never mix the gauges and based on what the inspector said I am going 12 all the way.
Chris

H
New Mexico State Code says I can't run 14 farther than 75' because of voltage drop. It doesn't matter how heavily the circuit is loaded either. Doesn't make any sense to me.
So, what most guys are doing (including me) for say a general lighting circuit is pulling the home run in 12, then switching to 14, on a 15A breaker. I know it is bad design, and presents several potential problems, but I have to compete with other guys doing the same thing.

What do you guys think?

Highground

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard