ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 361 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
They will figure out a regular breaker is a whole lot cheaper than a 100' extension cord

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

D
Yep , maybe they will get that new book Destroy-It-Yourself Book to help with putting it in

TOM L

back in doo da
E
This is actually really straight forward, code-wise. The mechanical code (all of them I've ever seen, from all the code making bodies) prohibit gas appliances in bedrooms, bathrooms, and closets/spaces accessed only from bedrooms.
Therefore, your furnace cannot be located anywhere AFCI is required.
If your AHJ approves of the location, then they cannot require AFCI.

C
Would the attic be considered a space accessed only from the bedroom if the only crawl hole is in the master bedroom closet?

Rereading what I just typed it sure looks like one would conclude yes.

The air handler in the attic is pretty much the norm around here and I can't count how many attics I've had to access from the master closet.

Another thing I've found puzzling about the current arc-fault rules is that your often protecting a circuit that serves a bedroom and not a circuit feeding the other side of the wall. Usually both circuits could just as easily be damaged by the same nail or screw, installed from either side no less. I guess when they have us installing $800 worth of arc fault breakers in every house that won't be an issue any longer.

B
I would think that the attic, being a separate level of the house, would automatically be considered separate from the bedroom. I'm assuming the "spaces accessed only from bedrooms" language is there to prevent someone from putting a furnace in a closet off the bedroom and trying to argue that it isn't a closet.

IMO, if the air handler is in the attic, there should be an easily-accessible pull-down ladder to the attic at a minimum. Try to make it somewhat easy for the homeowner to change the filter once in a while.

(That reminds me ... I need to change my furnace filter!)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard