ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
I'd guess the red and black go to the permanent panel inside the house; when the temp is no longer needed, this panel will be removed and the red and black lines will be pulled into the meter can. They are taped up so they won't accidentally touch anything.

The lack of bushings around the red and black is to give the next guy a head start on stripping the insulation.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
The old SE cable has been cut off at the lintel...don't have a guess why it's in the panel. BTW the meter was live but not for long. After about four attempts, the owner finally got a licensed contractor. As for the inside, this house was a fire job (wonder why) with new walls, trusses and etc.

Last edited by Raymfl; 09/24/07 08:48 PM.
R
The outlet box wasn't secured to the wal.

Ray, welcome smile

Do you suppose that the black and red conductors through that sharp hole are intended to be connected to the mechanical lugs bus-tapped into the bottom of the panel?

Scary cry

H
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Installations like this bring to mind the old ceremonies for drumming a disgraced officer out of the corps....

I can see it now:

Assembled in the town square, neatly lined up, are all the AHJ's, Licensed Contractors, Journeymen .... and, with the best view, the apprentices.

The accused is paraded forth. His Carhartt's are removed, to be replaced by some poly-cotton jumpsuit. His electrical tools are, one by one, dropped into a vat of molten metal. His hands are liberally coated with Gorilla Glue, then inserted into his pockets. Finally, his hard hat is replaced with a funnel.

Then the disgraced is taken to a soup kitchen, nearest the bus station. Good Riddance.

You forgot some other potential audience members: The POCO linemen, the local FD, and IEEE members!

I see a Darwin Award candidate in the making here folks!

M
I don't understand why this was done. With nearly the same amount of effort, the proper sized conductors could have been installed. Never mind what I would consider a poor job of landing the poco conductors on the line side of the meter.

Two things I observe about the load conductors from the main disco/sub panel to the panel somewhere inside the house; 1) The neutral conductor is way too short to reach the buss at the top of the panel and would have to be spliced, and 2) the three conductors (red, black and bare) don't appear to pass through any kind of conduit fitting, or even a clamp of some sort. Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there supposed to also be a separate grounding conductor from this main/sub panel to the panel inside?

I have seen numerous panels like this in my part of the world, primarily for mobile home service poles, where the main conductors to the home land in those bottom lugs, and another couple of breakers are supplied for such purposes as a water well pump, outbuildings, etc.

Mike (mamills)

R
Those taped conductors go nowhere...they were cut where they exit the wall and there was no panel in the house. Again, this was a fire job and the inside was totally gutted. It is allowed to build the service with a GFCI outlet below for temporary use, but must be complete except for branch circuits and panel feeders. This is an example of an owner builder who is way over his head.

Ray

Last edited by Raymfl; 09/25/07 04:50 PM.
M
Thanks, Ray. Somehow, I missed your posts above.

Mike (mamills)

M
hell, it was only temporary...what's the big deal? wink

R
It was very temporary. Our juristiction requires that a TUG be complete, then have a pre-power before the feeders can be energized.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard