ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 451 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Paul:
Reminds me of a client who wanted to know what colors PVC conduit was available in! I said 'gray'; she said what shade? Needless to say...she hired a painter; two attempts later...she had 'federal blue' PVC to blend in with the architecture.

Take care

John
M
Around here I've seen only white 14GA, yellow 12GA, orange 10GA, and black (in 8GA or larger... might be type SE). Are there other colors now?

Mike Wescoatt
G
John
I used EMT to put in all the lights around my pool. (18 H101s and 5 motion sensors) My screen cage is bronze (dark brown) so I had to paint it all. I ended up bending all the pipe. Putting it up to be sure it all fit, then taking it down and shooting it and putting it back up. It was a PITA but the result was worth it.

Greg Fretwell
P
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Reminds me of a client who wanted to know what colors PVC conduit was available in! I said 'gray'

We have black and white over here:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Pvc_Index/index.html

E
e57 Offline
Originally Posted by Rewired
Blue NM for the arc fault circuits and yellow for the 20A kitchen circuits.

Blue????

Anyway, I thought this was a NECA thing with the colors - and they got the manufacturers to comply with thier whims.

A supply house I go to had an enormous amount of NM stock piled that took them 4 YEARS to get rid of. And for a while after they changed the color to yellow on #12 you would need to point out to the inspectors that it was #12 - just several years old.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
S
I do rememer light blue NM long time ago

Bill
G
There was a lot of blue NM in the early 80s. I am not sure who was making it. I also saw dark brown NM in the same time period.

Greg Fretwell
N
In late 1960s Phelps-Dodge made a blue colored NM cable. Building I saw it in was built 1968.

E
We used the light blue Phelps-Dodge blue cable well into the late 1970's in new work. A lot of their cable was also black. What was odd was that in many cases, the black conductor was actually brown. I don't know if this was intentional or just a case of someone not mixing enough dye into the batch.

We also used a lot of cable made by Cadillac Cable that had a green or brown jacket.

I'd say that it's safe to guess that it was just a case of manufacturers wanting their product to be more identifiable.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
G
I turned up some unusual NM in my house, probably installed in the late 70s, early 80s. It actually had color coded copper. The white wire had a silver cast to it and the black was a deep bronze color.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard