September 23, 2007 05:26pm
Article from: Agence France-Presse
A BOY is in hospital with serious injuries after he touched overhead power cables above a railway line in Melbourne's southeast.
The boy, who was believed to be aged between 10 and 14, received a huge electric shock after he climbed up a gantry beside the Frankston-Melbourne rail line at Seaford and reached out to the power lines, police said.
A group of youths found the youngster lying on a dirt track next to the train line about 3pm (AEST), police spokeswoman Catherine Jess said.
"We believe the boy has climbed about 10m up the gantry next to the railway line and touched the overhead power line and fallen back to the ground," she said.
"It appears he was alone, and so far we don't know who he is or where he's from."
Melbourne Metropolitan Ambulance Service (MAS) spokesman Ray Rowe said the boy had burns to his upper and lower body, as well as a broken leg.
"He's in a pretty bad way, but it's too early to say how extensive his injuries and burns are."
The boy was in the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22467056-29277,00.html