ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
mj Offline OP
does your electrical license permits you to work state-wide ? we have to get a license and a bond for each city that we work in.

N
Yes my state license allows me to work state wide but some cities/towns want thier registration fees and bonding or proof of insurance. They cannot deny me working if I get the regristration. It's just a rip off the State licensed EC fee.

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 11-19-2002).]

ed
Tom Offline
We here in the mOuntain State can work statewide with our license. If you're contracting, you'll need to obtain a business license in every city you work in.

By the way, I don't usually call it a license, I substitute the word "tax."

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
MJ:
Here in New Jersey, your Electrical Contractors License allows you to work statewide. WE have two (2) "licenses"; Licensed Electrician and Licensed Electrical Contractor. The "Electrical Contractor" is actually a business permit. The Lic. Electrician has to apply for the business permit. If you change your business name, or open under a different name, you have to obtain a new business permit.
The license number for the Lic. Electrician remains with the individual for life, or until you "retire" it. When you change the business permit, they add a letter at the end. (ie: BP # 8209-A) I changed from a sole proprietor to an LLC, and had to go thru the process.

Various towns, cities, etc., have requirements for "licenses" for tradespeople (carpenters, siders, roofers, etc) The electricians and plumbers are exempt, as we have stste licenses.
John

John
G
Gwz Offline
Just comments and etc.

Do you as a contractor, property owner, resident ( of a munincipality ), expect a licensed electrical contractor to have the installation inspected by a qualified electrical inspector?

How do you expect the munincipality to pay for the inspectors ( building department ) expenses ?

I do agree with Tom, that in many cases, the building fees, whether license or permit are nothing more than a tax ( or a cash cow for the general fund ).

Any fees collected from electrical contractors by licenses and/or permits fees should first provide for a "1st Class knowledgeable and dedicated Building Department employees doing thorough inspections" and any remaining funds then can go into the General Fund.

I don't mean employees that seem to do only "drive-by" inspections.

GWZ:
The permit fees in our area are basically used to fund the Construction Office Operatand staff of inspectors and clerical help. There are surcharges that are used to fund State controled inspector training/seminars.

The license fees that EC's pay, and inspectors pay go directly to the State treasury. I am not aware of the usage of the license funds.

As a licensed electrical contractor, the fees that I pay in permits and license renewal are not objectionable to me.

As a licensed electrical inspector (part time) I see and know the operation within the Construction Office that I work in and have to say that the employees are what you "wish" for in your post.

Yes, I share your comments about the quality of some inspections, and the knowledge of some employees. Some localities here utilize 3rd party inspection agencies...'nuff said.

Getting off the soap box now...thanks for the time..

PS: Permits are required by State law in NJ.
John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 11-19-2002).]

John

Link Copied to Clipboard