ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
Gloria Offline OP
Hi All!

I have a job dream, if I cannot be a musician, I'm not that eccentric smile I would love to be a sound technician.
Does anyone of you can offer a site where I can find info, books online, or other stuff regarding the magical world of soundwaves?

(We have some courses here, but that price is over my budget, and since I'm learning programming from books for 6-7 years so far, I guess it is not impossible)

Thanks!

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
Hi Gloria:

One of the best reference books to start with is published by Yamaha (yeah, they do sound and musical instruments as well as motorcycles).

The book is IIRC "Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook" and is available at a lot of the big chain music stores (Sam Ash, etc.)

The exact title is a bit fuzzy to me as someone "borrowed" my copy a number of years ago and never gave it back. smile

After a bit of study with that book, another great resource is to try doing some basic sound mixing or monitor mixing for a local band.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.....

Stupid should be painful.
So, you want to be a sqweek?

TBH, I'm not sure how one would go about it in Hungary, but around here there are two ways to break into the industry:

1. Befriend someone who's already in the industry, offer to help them out for cheap, and have them teach you a few things. Working with them will not only give you the skills, but also contacts for future jobs on your own.

2. Contact the local union (around here, most film/concert/stage sound techs are going to be members of IATSE) and express an interest in learning about the trade. Be sure to tell them that you're a newbie, as you may do damage if they call you in for a gig, and you can't tell an amp from an XLR cable.

This is, of course, assuming that you don't have the money to go through formal education and learn the trade that way.

In my experience (as a production electrician), sound people must be prepared to loose their hearing and any personal hygiene habits you may be clinging on to. At least half of the ones I've met/worked with are deaf and smell badly of BO.

Last edited by noderaser; 09/11/07 12:42 AM.
G
Gloria Offline OP
You are probably right in some meaning, but my direction would be more the sensitive type of sound technique.
That means radio studios, recording studios, etc.
I don't think I never go to parties, because most technician I know works as DJ usually, and also if they are good at the sound recording, the band takes them to tour too, which is also probably one of the hardest job in the world.

I'm not sure how it goes with ladies, carrying those huge racks, but that cannot be a problem if someone is really talented.

I just wonder that I do know female dj's, but no technicians.

Does this IATSE has an online forum? I'd like to know more.

Thanks,

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
I'm pretty sure that IATSE is just US & Canada, but here's their website, they may have links to international organizations.

http://www.iatse-intl.org/home.html

D
djk Offline
Gloria,

Normally, in this part of the world anyway, you do a course of some sort in Sound Engineering / Broadcast Engineering either a B.Sc. or a Diploma. Then it's a case of finding your first job in the area. Often, you'll pick up some kind of work in local radio stations, recording studios etc quite readily if you're enthusiastic and willing to 'muck in'.

I would suggest that you perhaps make contact with one of your local radio stations and ask if it would be possible to e-mail / or phone one of the sound engineers for advice. They're usually quite helpful and keen to talk to people who are genuinely interested in getting into the industry.

You might also be able to get some work experience in the a local station / local studio by offering to do maybe a few hours on a weekend or something like that to gain some experience. You'd also get the low down on how things operate in the industry in your country too.

Also, if there are any community stations, voluntary stations etc in your area, they can be a great place to get some basic experience as everyone is working on a voluntary basis.

D
djk Offline
Forgot to mention:

It may be possible to do a basic course on a part-time basis so, you would still be able to work full time and perhaps do the sound course at night / on weekends or partially by correspondence.

Check out your options.

The UK's Open University's actually a very good place to try. www.open.ac.uk
They're a fully recognised, highly respected distance learning university and offer a range of technology courses that you can do while working and from outside the UK and Rep. of Ireland where the Open University primarily operates.

They certainly have some courses that could be used to lead into a sound engineering or other media career.

Link Copied to Clipboard