ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#168210 08/29/07 07:01 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Thanks to Johno12345 for the following:

This is another unusual British socket and plug. It is used for 240V clocks and is rated at 1A. It was often installed above the mantelpiece but this was removed from our reception area during refurbishment after the Sheffield
floods.

I believe that a 4 pin version existed for master/slave clocks also.

Someone might spot what is slightly odd about this example......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Been too busy to post recently, but now I am back.

BS 1361 13A fuse. Do I get a prize? Didn't think one would fit in!! Should be a BS 646.
Was it on a BESA box as the fixing centres look a bit close together?
What I thought stranger was the fact that it was circular, most of the ones that I have seen have been square

It's hard to believe, these days, that at one time, clocks used to run off the mains, in houses.
An apprentice and I were re-wiring a house a couple of years back, when the question came as to what this wierd looking socket was in the lounge.
I knew as soon as the question was asked (being in another room), I said it was for a clock.
The young fella could not have given me a blanker look.
2 Amp circuit if I remember correctly.

J
yes, it is the 13A fuse. It isn't forced and fits perfectly. I dont think I would fancy running a kettle or heater off that smile This socket was fed from the local lighting circuit with a BS3036 15A fuse at the fuseboard and it is designed for a round BESA box but was not fed in conduit, just twin and earth. Dont know why but lots of stuff was like that.

I did look for a 240V clock to utilise the socket but could only find ones the size of Big Ben! We have just capped off the supply at high level.

Unfortunately we are lacking in the old socket stuff here, we dont get more interesting than 2A and 5A round pin sockets (which are still in use)

I took my time, I hurried up, The choice was mine, I didn't think enough
If not the mains supply, what does one run a clock on these days? Just batteries?

J
yes, the only clocks that run on mains would be clock radios and ones that are very inaccessible. Having to plug in your wall clock does limit its flexibility so I guess that the inconvenience outweighed the benefit and batteries got better so its now rare to find a mains clock.

I took my time, I hurried up, The choice was mine, I didn't think enough
P
pauluk Offline OP
Originally Posted by TrimixLeccy
BS 1361 13A fuse. Do I get a prize?

Not quite -- It's BS1362. wink

I've never come across an MK clock connector which uses anything but BS646 fuses before.

For our non-U.K. members we'd better explain. The BS1362 fuse as pictured here is the standard 1" long by 1/4" diameter fuse as used in our standard 13A plugs. The BS646 fuse is a similar ceramic-bodied fuse, but shorter and smaller diameter, available in ratings up to 5A maximum.

R
Because of all the el cheapo quartz clocks in offices it is often that clocks show all different times in big offices.

The old master / slave clocks at least had all the clocks showing the correct time.
I use a Bürk pendulum master clock at home which drives about 30 slave clocks in all the rooms of my house ( Ok i admit, hobby out of control ). These keep time within 3 seconds per month, and automatic adjustment after a powercut.

Note: i live in a 5 bedroom house laugh

People now rely more on cellphones, or quartz watches for timekeeping

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
P
pauluk Offline OP
Originally Posted by RODALCO
which drives about 30 slave clocks in all the rooms of my house ( Ok i admit, hobby out of control ).

Sounds quite normal to me! wink

T
Confusing 1361 with 1362, a classic schoolboy error........Hangs head in shame!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard