ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Hi,
Anybody else have any experience with AB Powerflex 700 Drives?

Thanks

Windmiller

We all live under one King
J
A-B 1336 VFDs do indded have SCRs in the front end. They use them instead of diodes because they don't use a pre-charge current limiting resistor (and associated contactor) to protect the DC bus from inrush when you first power them on. Instead, they ramp the incoming voltage into the DC bus using phase control firing of the SCRs configured for rectification. It's a convoluted way of attaining the desired effect, but it saves them from having to design a pre-charge circuit. Several VFD manufacturers do this on larger HP drives now, especially those like A-B who also make DC drives and Soft Starters where their buying power for SCRs makes them competitive to diodes.

Still, IMHO the firing circuit necessary for them just makes for another thing to fail and if it does, they misfire, causing the SCRs to short. I have had dozens of 1336 front ends go bad on me in areas where line power is less than perfect, i.e. generator power in Alaska. The generator AVR can interact with the SCR firing circuit and cause both of them to start oscillating, which ends up in the SCRs failing. Once I figured out what A-B was doing, I gutted the SCR front ends and built my own diode front end and a pre-charge circuit, problems went away. Incidentally, A-B insisted all along that I was getting hit by lightning strikes, yet THEIR DRIVES were the only thing failing!

JRaef
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard