ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
It could be interesting to have some fun and make the consultant's and CG's that you guys speak of go out totally misinformed and make a donkey of themselves.
Or could that be wrong and lead to TTT getting a bad reputation?

Last edited by mkoloj; 08/24/07 03:01 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
They don't need us for them to make a donkey of themselves. They do quite well without any help.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 08/24/07 07:54 PM.
P
Ah..... This solves a mystery!

More than once I've seen somebody claim that the terms tip and ring are derived from the "fact" that one wire is used for the talk path (TiP) and the other is used for ringing the line.

They must have all been getting their advice from Ed and Hal! wink

M

P
Originally Posted by mkoloj

A little. That puts me in mind of the people here who cut into a coaxial TV antenna cable and just spur off to a second outlet using a junction box, then have no idea why the signal is so poor. If they manage to make the spur just the right (wrong!) length, they end up with a lousy picture on the first set before they've even connected the second.

E
Mkoloj:

Yes, Hal and I did get quite a kick out of that one. Hey, at least he knew when to quit and admitted he was over his head BEFORE he messed something up.

Paul: What? You mean I can't just twist the center conductors together? No wonder my digital cable doesn't work.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
P
You mean I can't just twist the center conductors together?

Of course not! I thought everybody knew that the shields have to be connected together by at least two but no more than four strands, and that a minimum of one strand from the shield has to be touching the center conductor.

And it will never work unless you hold it together with Scotch parcel tape. wink

M
I happen to know someone whistle that drilled thru a coax that was being used as a network backbone while drilling a hole for it's fiber replacement.
The weapon of choice:
[Linked Image from tnb.com]

The users never missed a beat, probably because they were out to lunch long enough after it happened to devise the crafty repair.
Rest assured, a week later the fiber went live and I have slept well ever since.

As for the guy trying to bridge two digital phones on one switch port, he did do the right thing and admit he was in over his head.
It seemed like he thought it was like wiring a second line in a residence and it hit him that he was in too deep when he saw another phone that had 5 line appearances on it.
You have to admit though, it would have been priceless if the thread started out with someone looking for a source for a replacement card for the switch and installation instructions.

E
Those 709 connectors are the bomb! I use them for everything.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
M
Originally Posted by EV607797
Those 709 connectors are the bomb! I use them for everything.

Everything?
I don't know about all that but they definitely have their place.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard