ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 247 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#168075 08/26/07 07:05 PM
C
I am wiring a taco bell. On Tueseday of last week, my project manager handed me prints for a taco bell. Has anyone else here had experience on these projects that could give me a few tips to make the job run smoothly? I have had a crew of 4 guys for 3 days, and had 8 on Saturday. So far we have pretty much gotten out of the walls with the line voltage stuff. The low voltage is next, and ultimately the service. The GC is breathing down my neck because he says he's already a week behind schedule, but I am assuming I had nothing to do with it seeing as I only arrived on the scene this past Tueseday. Ran into a few problems already(what else is new right?). It seems as though our guys/the concrete guys didn't run pipe in the slab prior to pouring. Looks as though I'm gonna be going overhead for the lighting contactor(it's located on the opposite wall from the lighting panel on the print), and the voice/data feeder conduits. Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on how things are progressing, and like I said....if anyone here has had experience with a similar project, let me know...thanks...

Nick

Cat Servant
Check your prints and contract real carefully! Such chain places are typically very detailed, telling you exactly where each and every wire will be run. You do not get to vary from them. If the GC dropped the ball .... don't let him off the hook. CYA.

I
ITO Offline
Everything Reno said, plus not only are they picky but an owners rep will be inspecting it.

Also look for anything that has to go in the slap like a floor box or a feeder to an island, if there is the GC needs to sawcut the floor for you.

BTW not to discourage you but I HATE restaurants they are full of MEP all competing for the same space.

One more thing I have never met a GC who was not behind schedule, don't let him rattle your cage too much.

101° Rx = + /_\
J
Topic is two years old. I sure he is finished by now.

Last edited by jdevlin; 08/27/07 03:37 PM.
W
the date on the post is 8/26/07 ??

M
devlin if from the future:D

J
DOH.
I looked the registration date instead of the post date.

M
well, you best go find out who's gonna win this years NBA finals, World Series and SuperBowl...all day I've been telling people I know someone from the future...there's a lot of money riding on this:D

C
Thanks for the input.

Yeah...the GC has been telling me he's behind schedule. I told him I can only go as fast as I can. Fortunately I have a great crew of guys on my side. So far the office has been very supportive. This is my first time running work, and let me tell you, my head is spinning.
We passed the wall inspection yesterday, although I still had to get some pipes outside for the parking lot lights, and informed the inspecter. He seemed unphased by this. My guys made sure everything was nice and neat which helped out a lot. So far I have been giving them "options" on what task they would like to do next, and this technique seems to be working out just fine. Are there any managerial techniques anyone can suggest? I really enjoy making the rounds and seeing the project come together. I still keep a fully loaded tool belt on at all times though, so when I see the guys needing help I jump right in. At the end of the day today, I unwound a bit, by chizling out some of the foundation for some pipes. It was nice not to think for a little while.

Thanks again for the input

Nick

M
I used to do a good deal of resturant buildouts (chains) and one thing I remember is that it is a good idea to get an extra conduit or two stubbed up from the panels into the ceiling, cause there is always something that the prints leave out, and your company will be the first one they call in for the extra stuff they want installed in the coming months. So now you will be halfway there and won't have to fish down into the panels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard