ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
V
vancity Offline OP
Hello All

Please if somebody can help me with this: Is there a code requirement for generator systems to be self contained in a Health care facility in Canada?

Under Z32-99 Electrical Safety and Essential Electrical Systems in Health Care Facilities in Canada Section 6.4 Emergency Supply and its performance, subsection 6.4.3.6 states the Gen/Set must be set up to deliver un-interrupted service to the Health Care Facility. The unit must comply with EEMAC Standard M1-6.

CEC 2002 states in section 24 Patients Care Area

24-306 Emergency Supply
Δ (1) An emergency supply shall be one or more generator sets driven by a prime mover and located on the health
care facility premises in a fire-resistant enclosure or room in accordance with CSA Standard Z32, and in such a
manner as to minimize the possibility of flooding and damage.
(2) The prime mover of the generating set, as specified in Subrule (1), shall be capable of operating independently
of supplies of water and fuel from public utilities.

Is something I am missing?

Thank you

Best Regards

C
What are you asking? It looks like you're answering your own question.

V
vancity Offline OP
I am asking if has to be self contained or not.

V
vancity Offline OP
I know that NFPA codes require that the generator to be installed in a dedicated room with nothing else inside but the ATS. It is an equivalent Canadian requirement for that?

This is what the 2006 handbook says

To be completely reliable, an emergency supply must function in all emergencies, not just during unexpected interruptions to the normal supply. An emergency supply must deliver power continuously during natural disasters (e.g., storms, floods, fires, and earthquakes) when all community supplies of electricity, water, and fuel are cut off, either accidentally or intentionally. A fuel supply must be available on site. Two or more generator sets, properly interconnected, are more reliable than a single set.
The intention of Rule 24-306 is to ensure that the power supply to a health care facility is as reliable as possible under all operating conditions and that the installation is in compliance with the requirements of CAN/CSA-Z32.

I just wanted to play with my new 2006 CEC CD smile

R
There are all sorts of rules contained in the CSA standard "C282-05 - Emergency Electrical Power Supply for bUildings." This standard is referenced in the Z32 rule 1.4.1.

How a generator is to be installed is detailed in both the Z32 and the C282 with the Z32 having precedence over the C282 code.

And... self contained in what way? Location? Fuel supply?

Go look at C282 rules... 6.2, 7.3 and 7.4

F
The only utility generally used is water for the fuel coolers.I think we had Detroit Diesel/inspection and the EE signed off on ours as our fuel is constantly circulating from a 10000 gallon in ground tank to our day tanks and back.Hospitals usually have one tank for both the generators and the boilers.
It just has to pass the yearly 24 hour load banking simulation.This is a 2003 instillation and ran with no water for 12hrs with out problems in the blackout.
Also the T-switch is always located in the main electrical room.The gensets are in a fire proof vault that has no other purpose.
Best to get the Electrical engineer and Inspector to sign off on every aspect before you start regardless of the code book.Definatly have a PE stamp for third party liability
cheers

J
Hi
C282...
a seperate service room(s)with a 2 hr fire seperation from the rest of the building or a seperate building or enclosure.

Don't forget if you are installing in vancouver the testing had to be done by an ASTT registered technician.
( i.e. on start up the 1 hour operational test, the 4 hour full load test and the 1 hour LTP test. .....also the yearly 2 hour full load test )

The new installations I have come across, seem to have both generator/ATS in one room and in seperate rooms., all are diesel sets.

strange the sharing fuel.
C282 6.3.7 states the fuel tank and fuel used for an emegency generating set shall be reserved exclusively for the generator set.

don't forget to check the BC fire code / building code and NFPA 37 in addition to C282
cheers
Jerry

Link Copied to Clipboard