ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
Northern Tool Recalls Powerhorse Generators
by Admin - 02/25/21 09:49 PM
You will never guess
by gfretwell - 02/25/21 07:48 PM
Lock-down Thread
by Bill Addiss - 02/24/21 04:40 PM
New tool
by SMOKEYBOB - 02/15/21 04:59 PM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 21 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
requirement for electrical work #167289 08/09/07 02:51 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Bobbysr Offline OP
New Member
I am trying to find out if anyone know specific requirements concerning when a electrican must have a qualified indivual working with him. I look at NFPA-70E , but was unable to find any reference as to condition which would requirement more than one person to preform certain task. common sense says that you should when working Hot(Troubleshooting, ie testing for voltage) but most times, document reference usually work better than common sense.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Re: requirement for electrical work [Re: Bobbysr] #167303 08/09/07 10:42 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,569
gfretwell Offline
I am not sure what the current rule is but 40 years ago IBM said you never worked with energized circuits without someone there who knew how to turn off the power.
I assume that is still a reasonable policy.

Last edited by gfretwell; 08/09/07 10:43 PM.

Greg Fretwell
Re: requirement for electrical work [Re: Bobbysr] #167311 08/10/07 01:54 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,379
Trumpy Offline
Hi Bobby,
Welcome to ECN, mate. cool
Only advice I can give you is look at the state laws in your particular state, no doubt the City has thier own ideas on who should be working with whom.
As sad as that sounds, it might be reality.
I'm not entirely sure if you are the qualified one or the guy that wants to work with a qualified person.
I would tend to think that any person working with a "Qualified Person" would have to be under thier supervision, directly.
Sorry, that is all I can do to help mate.

Re: requirement for electrical work [Re: Trumpy] #167609 08/16/07 08:04 AM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 120
Zog Offline
The only guidelines for when 2 persons are required are from OSHA and apply to certian tasks >600V.

MV/HV Testing Specialist, "BKRMAN"
Re: requirement for electrical work [Re: Zog] #168526 09/07/07 04:29 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,213
SteveFehr Offline
It's my understanding that OSHA requires 2 qualified personnel, and both with current CPR/AED certification, whenever work is being done on or around energized circuits. But it's been about 2 months since I looked this up, so I might be confusing it with a NAVOSH regulation. It's definitely a NAVOSH regulation to have an electrical safety board posted, with rope, blanket, hook, gloves, goggles and CPR instructions in all areas where electrical work is performed.

I've been unable to ever find a quantitative description of what constitutes a "qualified" person, though.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 09/07/07 04:33 PM.
Re: requirement for electrical work [Re: SteveFehr] #168604 09/10/07 08:13 AM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 120
Zog Offline
Def of a qualified person is in the NFPA 70E. OSHA has a requirement for CPR trained person "available" when doing electrical work >50V 1910.269(b), but nothing about AED's.

Like I mentioned earlier, there is no 2 person requirement for <600V in OSHA, there should be, but there is not.

MV/HV Testing Specialist, "BKRMAN"
Re: requirement for electrical work [Re: Zog] #168641 09/11/07 10:34 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,213
SteveFehr Offline
The NFPA 70E definition is still not a quantified definition, though, as it's far too vague and completely subjective- if I a random guy off the street and gave him a 5 minute orientation including how the electrical system was installed and runs, topped off with a few safety notes, he could be qualified by the NEC definition, but clearly still not qualified in reality.

Originally Posted by NEC
Qualified Person. One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training on the hazards involved.

I agree that there should be a 2 person rule for ALL electrical work; I'm astonished there isn't.

Re: requirement for electrical work [Re: SteveFehr] #168642 09/11/07 10:54 AM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 120
Zog Offline
There is more to it than that. According to the NFPA 70E, a “Qualified Person" is one who is trained and knowledgeable of the construction and operation of the equipment or the specific work method, and be trained to recognize the hazards present.

Such persons shall also be familiar with the use of the precautionary techniques, personal protective equipment, insulating and shielding materials, and insulated tools and test equipment. A person can be considered qualified with respect to certain tasks but still be unqualified for others.

In addition, to be permitted to work within the limited approach of exposed energized conductors and circuit parts the person shall be trained in all of the following:
Qualified employees shall be trained and competent in:
&#61607; The skills and techniques necessary to distinguish exposed live parts from other parts of electric equipment
&#61607; The skills and techniques necessary to determine the nominal voltage of exposed live parts
&#61607; The minimum approach distances specified in this section corresponding to the voltages to which the qualified employee will be exposed, and,
&#61607; The decision making process necessary to determine the degree and extent of the hazard and the personal protective equipment and job planning necessary to perform the task safely

MV/HV Testing Specialist, "BKRMAN"


2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Alan Belson
Alan Belson
Mayenne N. France
Posts: 1,803
Joined: March 2005
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
MCosta 3
Popular Topics(Views)
275,386 Are you busy
209,282 Re: Forum
196,579 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3