ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Originally Posted by ShockMe77
Yes, this installation meets the requirements of 210.63 and 210.70(A)(3). The pullchain w/ grounded receptacle is a quick and easy way to meet code. You're in, you're out, especially when that attic is HOT!!

Especially in Texas..... where the attic may be not only HOT but HUMID as well.

As for the 660W outlet, we had one in our house. It said "660W 125V". It did not specify if that was the light socket or receptacle rating. All I know is if you put any heavy load (above 10 amps) on it, your plug would come out HOT. Good thing it was made of porcelain. It was taken out of service when the pull chain mechanism seized up.

Then again, our house is OLD. We have all sorts of strange crap. I still remember the lovely handyman deathtrap that damn near electrocuted me one night.... UF cable in a bush at night looks a lot like a stray branch. I grabbed it and it grabbed me a lot harder! We have put a lot of work into it to undo some of the hacks previous owners have done. My favorite is still the garden hose DIY couplers on the hot water heater under the house.... they broke on Christmas Eve!

DIY: Destroy It Yourself!

J
210.70(A)(3) also requires that "at least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces. The lighting outlet shall be provided at or near the equipment requiring servicing"

Does this meet both of these requirements?

"210.70(A)(3) also requires that "at least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces."

I have seen creative arrangements of string and eyehooks to 'extend' the pullchain to the attic access. Basically, a HO engineering feat.

John
Cat Servant
JohnJ- A VERY good catch! The way that section is worded, this light would need to be on that switch, and not just in addition to any general attic lighting.

The only 'wiggle room' is that 210.70 applies to dwelling units .... but that's a small detail.

J
Originally Posted by renosteinke
JohnJ- A VERY good catch! The way that section is worded, this light would need to be on that switch, and not just in addition to any general attic lighting.

The only 'wiggle room' is that 210.70 applies to dwelling units .... but that's a small detail.

Thanks! I assumed blush that this was a dwelling when I saw the wood trusses. We often have a HVAC unit in the attic.

Cat Servant
Actually, this is the disconnect for the evaporator in a supplemental A/C unit in a school. The unit provides additional cooling to the computer server room.

Still, yours was a good catch. I posted the pic for just this sort of general discussion!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard