ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#167070 08/04/07 09:10 PM
W
Hi,
What article is it that covers the minimum size wire that can be phased or taped with a different color. Like a black to white.
I am sure this has been covered but I cant find it in a search.

Thanks for your help.

Windmiller

Last edited by windmiller; 08/04/07 09:13 PM. Reason: not filled in right

We all live under one King
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Tom Offline
For marking of grounded conductors see 200.6 A through E

For marking of equipment grounds, see 250.119 A through C

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Tom #167092 08/05/07 02:48 PM
W
Thanks for the reply. These articles cover grounded condcutors, aren't there some that cover ungrounded conductors?

Thanks

Windmiller

R
There are no rules that cover the method of identifying ungrounded conductors.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
W
Don,
Thanks for the reply. I was told at one time by someone on the forum (I thought) that you could not re-identify conductors smaller than number 8 awg. Am i thinking of something else perhaps?

I see a lot of #12 wire that has the neutral in a blk-r-bl- cable that has the bl re-identified as a neutral. And some where the bk-r-bl is changed to brn-or-yl on a #12 awg.

I guess it is only a neutral that cant be re-identified if it is smaller than a #6 unless it meets the exceptions?

Thanks

Windmiller

R
windmiller,
I see a lot of #12 wire that has the neutral in a blk-r-bl- cable that has the bl re-identified as a neutral.

That may be a violation of 200.6(E).
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
W
Don,
Thanks. Let me rephrase that, I am not sure I explained it right and I am not sure I understand 200.6 (e).

We use tons of MC cable. Given a 4/C 12, that has "bk-r-bl-gn" in in it where used as a 120 V circuit will have the "BL" marked as a Neutral with Scotch 35 White phase tape.

Is this a violation?

Are you saying that it is permissable to re-identify a conductor smaller than a #8 of any color to white?

I was thinking that anything smaller than a #8 could not be re-identified at all. Say you have a black #12, can you reidentify it to a neutral?

Sorry for the confusion.

thanks

Windmiller

Last edited by windmiller; 08/05/07 08:33 PM.

R
Windmiller,
(E) Grounded Conductors of Multiconductor Cables The insulated grounded conductors in a multiconductor cable shall be identified by a continuous white or gray outer finish or by three continuous white stripes on other than green insulation along its entire length. Multiconductor flat cable 4 AWG or larger shall be permitted to employ an external ridge on the grounded conductor.
Exception No. 1: Where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation, grounded conductors in multiconductor cables shall be permitted to be permanently identified at their terminations at the time of installation by a distinctive white marking or other equally effective means.

Unless you can meet the requirements of the exception, you cannot re-identify a conductor of a multiconductor cable as a grounded conductor no matter what the size is.

Don(resqcapt19)
W
Don,
Ok I see now. Thanks

Windmiller

G
Don- When I read 210.5(C) I get the impression that we have some direction on identifying the ungrounded conductors and I wonder if inspectors will allow for instance 2 systems (240/120 & 480/277) to have the same color ungrounded conductors and only change the color of the grounded conductors.

Last edited by George Little; 08/12/07 02:46 PM.

George Little
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard