ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
[Linked Image from images.starpulse.com]

OK, tell me again what the New Joisy problem is?

OK, now Tony want's in!
Amazing...

John
S
[Linked Image from hbo.com]

Originally Posted by HotLine1
I would like to know haw many of you Jersey guys have:
Seen a copy of the UCC. (5:23 et al)
Know what's within it.
Read any of it.
Know how much it pertains to you & your trade.

Anyone ever seen or read the DCA Communicator?

Thanks gentlemen

Nope!

Never even heard of it.

Last edited by ShockMe77; 07/31/07 09:43 PM.
L
LK Offline
John,

I don't know what to say, after a lifetime in this trade, I have never seen anything like it is today, a large number in the trade, have little or no understanding of the permit process. It first came to my attention, when I read posts claiming, permits were a goverment grab, for money, or goverment interfering in trade.

My bet is less then 10% of those in the trade can tell you why the building codes were developed, and how the insurance industry rates communties.

I say go with the CEU's on UCC there is a real need for it.

Les

Les:
As Shock indicated above...seems it's unknown.

Next time an EC cries that he has to remove H-7 cans and install "Energy Compliant"...what can I say?

I'm thinking that there may really be 'No Interest' in this subject; but..I'm going to get a few hours set up anyway.

I really feel better now...at least Ron responded; and he added one of my fav characters...Paulie Walnuts!

John
S
Hi John!

Hey, John, when would I need to remove H- 7's in favor of an energy compliant fixture? Couldn't I simply install CFL's and comply? The gov't interference thing comes from, well, the gov't telling us what to use. It is BS! If customers want incadesents who are we as EC's to tell them no? The less gov't interference the better is what I always say. Free-market, Ooo-Rah!

Ron:
It's not about CF-Incandescent...it's about the 'can' allowing interior conditioned air to leak into un-conditioned areas of the structure.

WE hav'nt progressed into the CF/Incand stage yet, Calif is way ahead of us in that respect.

What I'm trying to 'see' here is if there is any interest in you guys wanting CEU subjects other than the run of the mill subjects.

Based on the responses to this thread, NO interest seems to prevail!

PS (edit)
If you want further info, e-mail or call me.

Last edited by HotLine1; 08/03/07 07:28 AM. Reason: add PS

John
L
LK Offline
John,

Don't give up on your effort, bringing the UCC to the CEU's offered, is one of the best course suggestions, I have yet to see, It should be at the top of the list for courses, I am supprised that it has not been offered as yet.

The course may help create a better understanding of how the permit, and inspection process really works, and why and how codes are applied in the process, to comply with the laws.

It would not be a boring, repeat course for sure.

L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by ShockMe77
Hi John!

Hey, John, when would I need to remove H- 7's in favor of an energy compliant fixture? Couldn't I simply install CFL's and comply? The gov't interference thing comes from, well, the gov't telling us what to use. It is BS! If customers want incadesents who are we as EC's to tell them no? The less gov't interference the better is what I always say. Free-market, Ooo-Rah!

On the goverment interfering, I agree less is better, no question about it, unless it is for the public good.

Some of the energy proposals, and laws are just that, for the public good, yes I would like to have a choice on what lighting I use, however if using a more efficent lighting, reduces the demand on the power grid, and benifits the public at large, then, the law is working for everyones benifit.

I would like to have a chicken coop in the back yard, for my benifit, however living in a residential area, the public at large in my neighborhood, would be deprived of their right, to a quiet, and oderless enviroment, so goverment establishes a law, no raising chicks, in residential zones areas.

We get so caught up with rights issues, and policies, we sometime forget, that we control the issues, and policies, it's that strange thing called voting, even on the codes presented, we have the oppertunity to make proposals, and changes.

Making the UCC more accesable, will only help everyone understand it's scope and purpose, having it on the internet for NJ licensed electricians would allow us easy access.

Last edited by LK; 08/03/07 03:08 PM.
Les:
Yes, the UCC should be available online, but...it's not. It's only available in print, and you MUST subscribe to the update service, as it changes frequently. Changes may be grammar, punctuation, or the addition or deletion of whatever. That's probably why it is not available on CD/DVD or online.

As you may know...it's written mostly in legaleese, as it is a LAW.

There are many sections that are relative to EC's.

I'm going to work on it, but based on the replies to this thread.....it may only be you, Ron & Roger (if I pay the transportation)

Stay safe

John
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard