ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Surge07 Offline OP
Hi all

I would like tap on the huge knowledge base here to clarify my query.

Basically I am in Singapore which provides power at 230V50Hz. I would like to import a ceiling fan from the USA which is set for 110V60hz.

I know I am able to use a transformer to convert the 110V to 230V, however there seems to be no way to convert 50hz to 60Hz.

My question is whether using the fan on 230V50Hz(using a transformer) would negatively impact the fan.
-Would the motor burn out? Shorten the motor life?
-Alot of extra heat generated?

Thank you all in advance for any advise you have.

Cheers

L
Originally Posted by Surge07

My question is whether using the fan on 230V50Hz(using a transformer) would negatively impact the fan.
-Would the motor burn out?
Shorten the motor life?
-Alot of extra heat generated?

Burn out? Probably not.
Shorter Motor Life? Probably
Extra Heat? Yes!

What is so special about this fan? You can probably find local version that is designed for the local power supply and not risking burning down the building you and your family live in, by kludging some together.

G
The fan motor will also turn slower than it would on 60Hz power.

Ghost307
T
IF you want to import anything anyway, get it from Europe where the power is the same. Saves you a lot of trouble.

R
A 60 Hz system is a lot more efficient than a 50 Hz system, hence extra heating is an issue in a motor designed for 60 Hz running on 50 Hz.
The 60 hz motor will have generally less iron, because of the better efficiency.
A possibility is to use a 230 / 92 Volts transformer,
( 110 * 5/6 = 92.5 )
The fan speed will be less, 5/6 of the normal running speed.
The starting torque will also be reduced and it will take longer for the fan to get up to speed.

Otherwise get a European fan as already suggested.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Cat Servant
Ceiling fans in the USA typically have three speed motors. Running the motor on 50 hz will result in the motor turning only 80% as fast.

At the slowest speed, the motor ia virtually at a stall already, at 60 hz. Try it on 50 hz, and I ezpect that the motor will quickly 'leak smoke.'

T
"Motor run on smoke. Smoke out - motor no good!" laugh

S
Surge07 Offline OP
Thanks guys for all the responses.
Seems like the general consensus it not to get a ceiling fan from US.

If you guys are wondering which fan I am talking about..here it is
http://www.g2art.com/prod/F803

I have searched high and low on the net and contacted the company but they dun make it for 230V50hz...
My wife loves the design and I like it alot too.

Too bad...

Thanks again for all the advice

D
djk Offline
Is 60Hz that much more efficient ?
How does it compare in numerical terms - Just curious.

European 50Hz seems to have come about as it's a metric number basically i.e. 50 cycles, but 100 peaks and troughs per second. So, it suited the metrically fixated.

Last edited by djk; 07/25/07 04:43 PM.
Early frequency choices seem to have been the result of Westinghouse/Tesla choosing 60hz to suit existing steam engines and AEG in Germany being conservative [or bloody minded?] and using 3000 rpm for their engine speed. Niagara went 25hz because the turbines were already bought. Purely arbitrary choices it would seem, in fact there were / are dozens of other frequencies in use. Many can’t be changed because of the equipment base [ amounts in use]. 50hz is said to slightly more efficient for transmission over distance than 60hz. Not sure if 60hz is more efficient in an actual motor, but hardly likely to be by a great amount. Be nice to see some math.

Surge; Ask around in Singapore with a pic, chances are the Chinese have already copied the design for Europe and are knocking them out for $5!

Last edited by Alan Belson; 07/26/07 06:53 AM. Reason: spelin

Wood work but can't!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard