ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#166552 07/23/07 04:27 PM
C
Here is a little personal info about myself. I'm currently in the military and I will be getting out with 8 years of service. I have an Associates Degree in Electromechanical Control Technology, a certificate in electrical wiring, ETA certified Fiber Optics Installer, ETA certified Fiber Optics Technician and my completed Electrical Apprenticship Certificate. I have a couple questions for the experienced civilian electrician.

1. I plan on living in Texas and I want to get my Journeymans License for Texas. I am stationed in Virginia is there any way I can take the test at a Virginia test site? or will I have to fly out to Texas?
2. What are the pro's and con's about being a Union Electrician? Being that I already have the training, is it a good decision to join a union? If so which one?
3. What do you think a realistic starting salary would be for me?
4. Are there any special skills or certificate employer's are looking for?

charlesA #166555 07/23/07 05:23 PM
Charles, I see you are a new member.
Welcome!

We won't address question #2 here.

There are a few places we don't go on this forum. Discussions of the pros and cons of union vs non is one of those places smile

electure #166556 07/23/07 05:39 PM
I
ITO Offline

1) Yes Texas uses a state license program: http://www.license.state.tx.us/electricians/elec.htm

If you can pass the SBCCI test, administered by a local testing agency in your area, that will satisfy the test part. I am not sure of the residency issue, you may need to read the link above.

2) Then Union is a good way to get some training and your benefits may pay some of your wages while you train and are not up to scale. There is lots of work here for people who want it and the union will put you to work.

Pros: [edit]
Cons: [edit]

In a nut shell, I have recommended to many young men that the Union would be a good career path, you really have nothing to lose to try it.

3) Journeymen-
$30.36 (not all take home $3.75 of that is the insurance that I mentioned above).

Apprentices-
1st Year $17.20/$18.51
2nd Year $19.88
3rd Year $22.50
4th Year $23.81
5th Year $25.12

If you go in with a license but not all the skills there is a program called JIT (journeyman in training) with pay appropriate to your skill level.

4) I look for people with these qualities (in this order):
Shows up every day, and on time.
Can think on their feet.
Produces a lot ever day.
Problem solver.
Organizational skill.

If I am lucky they can:
Run men
Layout jobs

I have 4 ex-military guys now that don’t take any crap and can do anything I ask them to, do it well, and do it fast, but I went through about 50 to find them.

Dependability and Leadership are by far the most desirable skillsets for this trade.

101° Rx = + /_\
ITO #166558 07/23/07 05:48 PM
Cat Servant
ITO, thank you for an excellent, factual post.

renosteinke #166563 07/23/07 07:02 PM
L
LK Offline
I can't add anything to ITO's post.

If I was looking for an employee, you would be on my interview list.

LK #166566 07/23/07 07:26 PM
C
I am sure if someone wanted to chime in about pros and cons of a union they can send it via Private Message or PM.

I was looking to move to TX, A guy with a apprentice license was around $15 and J-man was $18/hr.

In TX I would looking into instrumentation and controls www.ictechs.com is a site you can look at. I honestly won't be a plain OL electrician, Do what makes you happy. as far as TX I could take the exam in PA. there is an institute that provides the exam. I forget what it was.

Good luck

"If your going to be stupid, You gotta be tough"

Link Copied to Clipboard