ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#166455 07/21/07 01:21 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
submitted by Ed Vaughn:

Everyone knows that hotels and RV parks are literal hotbeds for code violations. The maintenance man seems to know how to do it all. Here are some pics from my recent trip to an RV park in Myrtle Beach, SC:

200 amp service? No problem, let me get a piece of 2" PVC from the plumbing shop:

[Linked Image]

Need to hook up some Christmas lights? Here's a great solution, drop an 18/2 extension cord down from the roof through the drain spout:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is that a gas line, a voice or data cable? Nope, it's a 12/3 yellow extension cord running down from the roof to feed the wireless internet transceiver!

[Linked Image]

Here's one at another building, but this time they used an orange cord. These guys are pretty handy. Sorry for the poor quality:

[Linked Image]

No need to buy weatherproof fixtures, just get an indoor one and make it work. Note the Romex (not UF) that simply ducks in through a notch in the "fixture's" base. I seriously doubt that there's a box behind it. There are three of these on this one building alone:

[Linked Image]

Here's how they are fed from the light above the sink in the men's room. That piece of PVC coming up from the bottom feeds the receptacle below. No connectors or anything, just THHN coming out of the pipe and in through the same hole in the fixture with the Romex cables:

[Linked Image]

Cover? We don't need no stinkin' covers around here!

[Linked Image]

How's this for a lovely service?

[Linked Image]

See the vertical pipe coming down the wall? It's RMC for the electric meter. It's completely rotted away below the trim board with nothing but exposed conductors coming from the CT cabinet:

[Linked Image]

How about some fine plumbing. This is a 3/8" propane line feeding a wall heater in the bathroom, full of dents and kinks:

[img]https://www.electrical-contractor.net/Forum/Images/Vacation-11.jpg[/img]

This is in the community laundry room. Isn't it lovely?

[img]https://www.electrical-contractor.net/Forum/Images/Vacation-12.jpg[/img]

I had many more pictures, but I gave up trying to keep up. It's simply amazing how stuff like this goes on in a place that's accessible to the public and has hundreds of small kids wandering all over. This place is an accident waiting to happen!

(- Ed Vaughn)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
Sorry: I forgot to include my screen name when I sent these in, which is EV607797. Oh, and thanks to whoever cleaned up the pictures for me! grin

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
P
You know what's kind of scary? Some of the tricks pictured above would actually be an improvement on some of the wiring I've seen at places like this -- Spanish campsites come to mind! shocked

G
I remember to a movie, at christmas, the kid went to the kitchen to turn on the light, and the lights on the roof went off. laugh

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
T
Wait. Is that a drain pipe going down and then up again in the last picture??? wink

E
Yes it is and there's frequently standing water on the floor in that room after a busy wash day. Hard to believe, but true.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
L
Hey I just came back from Myrtle Beach too! I saw all kinds of violations just walking up Ocean blvd.

Hope you enjoyed your Vac as much as I did mine!

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Link Copied to Clipboard