ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#165835 07/06/07 09:11 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
In your respective areas, do you have anything in state/local codes to specify what color strobes should be used with alarms? Or is there a generally accepted convention in your area, e.g. red=fire, blue=intruder, etc.?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Most strobes I've seen here are a simple white. The one exception has been certain government jobs, which have used red for fire, and white (with coded pulses) for other matters.

One issue may be a difference in philosophies: Strobes are not seen by our codes as 'communication devices.' Rather, they have steadily been made more annoying, with a deliberate desire to yse the strobe to 'drive' you out .... rather than just to tell you there's trouble.

G
I agree there does not seem to be a standard. You usually have to read the cover plate on the strobe but that may not be practical if you are a visitor.
I agree this might be a good place for a convention. Now days we do seem to have an array of emergencies they want to warn you about, particularly in "secure" locations.
I remember in some places I worked there was always some kind of strobe going off when I was in a room because my clearance wasn't high enough.

Greg Fretwell
M
Where I work we have all clear strobes for the fire alarm. To me it would reduce confusion if they were red, and had a sign beside it saying what it is!

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
F
this is the strobelight codes but it is not in the NEC or IBC but little diffrent because my daughters go to state school for the deaf and we have mutli color strobelight in the system

Red = Firealarm
Bleu = Torando warning
Clear = telephone or genreal signal
Yellow = Doorbell signal

[ when my daughters go back to school in the fall they will informed me for update with this ]

but keep in your mind each area may have little diffrent way to describe it.

Merci, Marc

also ,, some industrail area will used the multi color strobelight for machineray breakdown or etc etc so they will have few arreay of colors as well

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 07/06/07 06:41 PM. Reason: add more details

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

P
pauluk Offline OP
So far as I'm aware, there is no "official" standard here. I don't get involved with industrial fire alarms, but I understand that red is often the preferred color, although often changed if that conflicts with any other warning devices on site.

By far the majority of intruder alarms these days use blue strobes, but again, there is no specific standard.

Link Copied to Clipboard