ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Hey gent's, can anyone share with me the best method to use when attaching a rope to 3 - 500 MCM cables. I am pulling 180' with 2 90's, and 2 30 degree bends. I am thinking of attaching 3 kellum grips (1 for each), but I am worried that they may slip off! What do you think?

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
N
I have used grips in the past with great success. The key is that you must stagger the grips on the pull rope. I splice one at the very end and then I have several others spliced further along the rope. I also take a strand from each “side” of the conductor and bend it out side of the grip so that I will not “drop” one in the pipe. Use lots of tape and lube.

Cheers

Last edited by Navyguy; 07/05/07 08:20 AM.
M
Awsome, thanks for the confirmation, Looks like being out of construction for 5 years has not taken a toll on me yet.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
H
Are kellum grips those Chineese finger thingies you used as a kid? If so, I agree with Navyguy.

E
Yes, "Kellem" grips are Hubbell's brand of a "Chinese finger". When sized and used correctly, they won't let go. The key is the length of the grip, not the diameter. Way too often, people spread these things open wider than they should, resulting in less pulling grip. I can take one designed for up to 1/2" and force it onto a piece of 750, but the grip range length is reduced to half of what it should be. THAT's were failures occur.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."

Link Copied to Clipboard