ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
C-H Offline OP
From BASEC:

BASEC advises swift change to new core colours

25/06/2007

With Hong Kong's changeover to new core colours imminent, the British Approval Service for Cables (BASEC) is advising contractors to make the switch soon.From July, Hong Kong will adopt a new cable colour code for new fixed electrical installations and additions or alterations to existing fixed electrical installations.

During a two-year grace period between 1 July 2007 and 30 June 2009, cables of both new and old colours can be used and BASEC has confirmed that it will still approve old and new core coloured cables during the transition. From 1 July 2009, the new cable colour code must be used for fixed electrical installations.

BASEC has been liaising with a number of Hong Kong Government authorities including the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department, the Architectural Services Department, the Hong Kong Housing Authority and the Fire Services Department, as well as cable using organisations, to help ease through the changes.

Commenting on the new core colours, Jeremy Hodge, chief executive of BASEC said: "Having experienced the changes in the UK, our advice is to make the switch sooner rather than later after 1st July 2007. That way there can be no confusion about what to use.

"Any project which starts after 1st July this year and continues beyond the two year mandatory changeover date will need to use the new core colours and it is only projects which are currently using old core colours which should continue along this line to prevent a mix of colours on a project.

"During a recent visit to Hong Kong it was clear that BASEC provides an important service to the electrical installation market and we are working with the relevant authorities to help ease through these changes where we can. We will continue to approve to old as well as new core colours and provide the reassurance that a cable marked "BASEC" has demonstrated its compliance to the required standard."

I'm quite suprised. As Hong Kong have been part of red China for the past ten years, I would have expected them to harmonise with the rest of China, not the EU. I'd be stunned if China now follows Hong Kong.

R
Q. What colours do they have currently in Hong Kong, and what are the new colours gonna be ?

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
C
C-H Offline OP
The previous British colours, switching to current European.

This could put price pressure on small markets which follows British standards. Here is a newspaper (!) article on cable core colours in United Arab Emirates (!):

Basec warns of potential change...

P
Originally Posted by C-H
The previous British colours, switching to current European.

For anyone who has not been paying attention in class:

Previous British = Red/yellow/blue phases, plus black neutral.

New European = Brown/black/gray phases, plus blue neutral.

From C-H's link:

“The change was made…to create a single European market for cables,” explained Hodge.

But there are still cable types used in the U.K. but not in Continental Europe and vice versa.

Safety was considered an issue as companies and individuals operating across different countries in Europe previously used different colour coding systems.

And those different systems will still be in use for decades to come, plus we now have the new system to add to the collection.

I
Even though HONG Kong is part of China it has been left as a Autonomise state within China for financial reasons

Link Copied to Clipboard