ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#123866 06/07/06 07:08 PM
Broom Pusher and
Dnkldorf;

Scott, or anyone..what happens to the waste they remove from the water?

Does this go to the salt flats, or is this somehow reduced somewhere to it's original components?

I am unsure what is done with the remaining materials from Extraction on Nick's project, but on the Project I did, the resultant Chemicals were either isolated and reclaimed for later usage, or they may become "Stabilized" by Chemical Treatments, and therefore become "Non-Threatening" Molecules, which would be allowed to be placed back into the extracted water.

The GWR setup I was involved with is different than the one which Nick is doing.

Nick's Project reclaims as much Groundwater possible, then uses it to replenish an Aquifer at some location - in this case, the Aquifer is about 10 Miles North of the Equipment Compound / Wells Location
(FYI: an "Aquifer" is similar to an Oil Pocket - it consists of a "Sponge-Like" layer of Permeable Rock, Sand or Gravel - in which Groundwater is contained.)

The GWR Project I worked on (Designed the Electrical Systems, did the Electrical Engineering, played Project Manager / Foreman) is intended to extract the Groundwater from an Aquifer, which had been contaminated by Accidental (??) Chemical spillage, treat the extracted water, then eject the clean treated water into the local City Storm Drain (after verification of decontamination).

The site was a recently closed and demolished Metals Plant.
The Buildings are all dismantled, and the site is a HUGE empty lot.

Here is an idea of the Extraction Process:

<OL TYPE=1>

[*] Preliminary tests were made on the site at several points across each "Incident Zone",

[*] The Chemical Engineer analyzed the samples to determine what Chemicals are to be dealt with, along with the level of contamination at certain points,

[*] Chem. Engineer submits that data to the Environmental Services Engineer, who plots points for Wells to be drilled,

[*] On this Project, Wells were placed in a "Circular Fashion" around the "Incident Zones", plus one Well set in the center of the "Incident Zones". An additional "Line" of Wells were placed in the flow pattern of the Aquifer, to catch anything that might pass through the initial Well Pumps - each Well contains a 5 HP or 7½ HP VFD type Pump,

[*] The Environmental Engineer submitted their Electrical Equipment data to me, and I designed the Electrical Systems (service, connections to loads, controls, etc.), performed the necessary Electrical Engineering, created the necessary Plansets and Contract Documents, and submitted the necessary items to the City for Plan Check and obtaining Permit,

[*] All Well Pumps are fed / controlled from Equipment on a Centralized Equipment Compound. Along with this, all the Well Pumps send the extracted Groundwater to treatment equipment on the same Equipment Compound,

[*] The Extracted Groundwater gets Pumped into a holding vessel, along with any water that accumulates on the Compound's floor (gets pumped out of a sump),

[*] The accumulated water gets treated with Hydrogen Peroxide and Oxygen, along with some type of catalyst,

[*] The treated water gets pumped into a large holding tank, for verification of "cleanliness",

[*] Samples are drawn from the holding tank, and are analyzed on site,

[*] If the test samples pass, the water held in the holding tank gets pumped out, into a local City Storm Drain,

[*] The Extracted Contaminates are held in various storage tanks, which may be taken off-site over regular intervals, and sold off as usable Chemicals for Industrial processes - otherwise are held in "Haz-Mat" storage facilities, or they are ReDox'ed into safe Molecules, which get sent out with the cleaned water into the Temporary holding tank,

[*] All Equipment and tanks have status indicators, which inform the overall status of the site to the Environmental Management Company, as to indicate service intervals and trouble. This is done via Analog MODEM from the PLC Equipment (at the "Master" Controller).
</OL>

This particular site will have the Extraction Process going on for at least 20 Years!

We had to bring in a "Sort-Of Temporary" Service for this Equipment Compound, via Temporary Power Poles.

The Transformers were on the Street, about 1,200 Feet from the actual Equipment Compound.

The kWh Meter is on the "First" Pole, closest to the Street. From there, the Customer's Side is strung over a distance of at least 1,100 Feet via Temp. Poles.

At the Equipment Compound, there is a fusible Disconnect mounted on a Temp. Pole.
This feeds the first Panelboard in the Equipment Compound.

The Temporary Poles situation was done due to the future plans for the site to be developed into a Commercial Office Building (Tilt-Up).
This is to be done within the next 5 Years.
When this is done, the Equipment Compound will be fed by an Underground Service Lateral.

I will see if I can locate the Pictures of this site.

Scott35

edited to fix a few spelling goofs, and to address "Dnk's" question in a little detail.

S.E.T.

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 06-07-2006).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#123867 06/07/06 08:19 PM
D
>>>in a little detail<<<< LOL

I'd love to see one of your fully detailed posts [Linked Image]

Tx,
Dnk..

#123868 06/17/06 03:54 AM
Broom Pusher and
Dnk:

I'd love to see one of your fully detailed posts [Linked Image]

Ohhh, be careful of what you ask! [Linked Image]

As said before, I can make an explanation of "How To Tie Your Shoe Laces" into an hour-long string of completely non understandable Technical Jargon!
(combine that with run-on sentences, grammar faux paus, spelling errors and story plot-holes!)

Comes from reading old Microsoft, IBM and EE Tech Manuals "For Fun" [Linked Image]

Scott35

p.s. Thanks for the compliment!

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#123869 07/10/06 03:57 AM
L
Yep those are identical to what we have at the NP for ERCW. Essential raw cooling water.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Administrator
I thought I would add some pics of the finished product. (Well almost finished)

- Nick

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Nice work Nick. smile Is that PVC coated rigid?

This looks like one of those jobs where they spared no expense. The workmanship is outstanding.

Peter
R
Nick, nice project and nice work.

Roger

N
"Is that PVC coated rigid?"
Yes indeed. All the strut, rod, hardware and j-boxes are 316 stainless steel as well. The tray is hot dipped galvanized steel. I guess a few pennies had to be saved some where.
Just a little trivia- The submittal on the large pumps rates them at 29,000 gallons of water per minute. (each):o

Now that really is something flash, Nick!.
Good to actually see LB's in pictures, being used for thier proper purpose.
Great pics. smile

Nick,

Great work!! Thanks for the follow-up pics.

I drive by that area going to UC Irvine, would love to see it in person if possible.

Stupid should be painful.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard